Chapter 2 - We'll take you around

Dhuram forwarded his hand, I looked at Maa. She slightly nodded indicating me to go along with them. Nervously I gave my hand in his. Ira had shut the door and we were alone with our enemies. It was as if we were walking through a foreign palace, I left Dhuram's hand and held my brother's hand. Kalpi's soldiers had occupied every room, packing our riches for taking them to Kalpi. "How does Mritunjay knows his men aren't stealing things for themselves?" I whispered in our mother tongue.

"Because none of them would be so foolish." Dhuram responded, Agraj and I were astonished to see him speaking in our mother tongue.

"So, you are Agraj?" Mritunjay asked. My brother nodded. "Yes, Your Highness."

"Call him Mritunjay, as we call him" Avru remarked.

"Your brother and sister?" Dhuram asked him.

"I'm Vedam and He's Ishaan" I replied for myself.

We reached the courtyard of the castle, Dhuram and Avru turned to us. "There will be no more speaking unless spoken to, understand?' Avru said. The three of us nodded. "Then prepare yourself" he warned as the doors of the palace were thrown open. Evening had settled, and hundreds of torches began to burn. I could see Dhuram tense as he doubted one of my father's loyal men would kill Mritunjay before we sailed to Kalpi. He checked his sword at his side. He was younger than I had first assumed him to be, not even twenty. He was just nineteen, but he was the one Mritunjay trusted with his life. It was his broad shoulders and height which made him look older.

On left was the great theatre. I tried to remember the first time my father had taken us there. My so many performances had taken place there. Beyond that was our Gurukul, where Agraj and I had begun our studies when we were five. I wished I could speak to Agraj, but I kept my silence as I had been instructed, and instead weeping over my father's death. I was looking at Vardha. Perhaps this will be my last visit here, I will never be able to see the streets of Vardha again. In three days, we'll sail to Kalpi, these are my last few days here I thought and swallowed against the increasing pain in my throat. I blinked back my tears.

***

We returned to palace. Mritunjay smiled, his steps grew uncertain. In courtyard a woman was screaming. She ran towards Mritunjay and in single motion soldiers joined their shields.

"Mritunjay, there's a news" she cried.

"Put down your shields" Mritunjay ordered.

I glimpsed her face between the armour of two soldiers and cried "Princess Vedam, your mother! you must come. She is dying."

Avru looked to Mritujay, and neither of them stopped us when the soldiers parted. I ran with Ishaan and Agraj through the palace. I don't remember if anyone followed. "Move away! Move" Agraj shouted at servants. My mother laid peacefully on a couch in the centre of the room. "Maa" I crept forward, while behind us Mritunjay, Avru and Dhuram stood at the doorway. When she didn't move, Agraj and I ran to her. "Maa" I pleaded and shook her by the shoulders. The crown she had carefully placed on her head struck the floor. Below her Ira was lying on the floor.

I took Ira's hands in mine, but the hands which taught me dance were cold. I grasped her arm and saw the wound. "Agraj, she used a scorpion" I turned. Dhuram rushed to my side and felt my mother's heartbeat and then bent down to Ira. "How do you know?" he asked quickly.

"Look at her arm" I said.

"There are scorpions in the room." Dhuram rose swiftly to his feet. "Seal the room. Agraj move out with Vedam and Ishaan" He ordered.

"No, I won't. A physician can drain the wound" I moved close to my mother.

But Dhuram shook his head, "She's already gone Princess."

"You can't be sure." I cried. He looked at Mritunjay for an answer. "Find a physician" Mrityunjay ordered sharply. The soldiers next to him rushed to find the doctor. Dhuram took Agraj and Ishaan out of the room, knowing they would not question much. I didn't bother about what is happening around me. My brothers were not next to me but I only cared for my mother in that moment. I hugged my knees and wept hard. A few seconds later I felt a warm hand on my back. It was Dhuram, only we both were left inside the room. "Agraj" I shouted. He turned towards me and stepped forward from the doorway. "Don't step inside, It's not safe." Dhuram instructed sternly. I looked at my mother, she had turned pale and immovable.

Everyone waited at the entrance of the room for physician. I looked directly into Dhuram's eyes. "It was a lie! It was all a lie. Mritunjay was never going back to Kalpi in three days. He wanted my mother to die. He wanted her to commit suicide" I whispered in anger to him. Before he could speak, physician arrived. I sat taking support of my mother's couch and remained silent. My heart was beating faster as I watched the physician. He located the wound on my mother's arm and made a thin cut above the bites. Then he pressed his lips against her skin and attempted to suck the venom from her body.

It felt like eternity. Then at last, he stood up. His lips were red with my mother's blood and his face told clearly that she is gone. "Will our mother be buried here in Vardha" Agraj asked in a low voice. Mritunjay raised his chin, "Of course, she was the queen of Vardha." But there was no remorse on his face, not even surprise.

"Will you really keep the children alive?" Avru asked.

Mritunjay's eyes swept over Agraj and me. "Agraj and Vedam are sixteen, and Ishaan is just 5. Keeping them alive would be merciful."

"And what about Kalpi?" Dhuram wanted to know.

"In a week when affairs settle here, we'll sail to Kalpi" Mritunjay declared.

***

"We'll be back" Agraj said sadly, I looked beyond the water to the city of Vardha that had been built over hundreds of years ago by our family from the boat. The city rose like a blinding white beacon, home to greatest minds of the world.

"I want to stay" I said.

"Vedam, we'll make sure we return someday." Agraj said hugging me sideward.

Avru took us to our cabin. We had to share it and that wasn't difficult for us as we had always shared a single room in our castle. "This door should always remain open, do not close it or lock it" he instructed.

"Even when we sleep?" Agraj asked.

"Even then! If you want anything you can ask me. Deck is open for you if you feel sick but never disturb Mritunjay for anything." Avru said and I looked to Ishaan. We weren't allowed to shut the door but how would a five years old child keep silent on two-weeks voyage? Dhuram entered our cabin, his eyes lingered on mine for a moment. Avru turned and said pointedly "I'm simply warning the children that in Kalpi many things will be different. I think they'll understand my words."

Both of them left, our cabin faced onto an open courtyard. I sat on one of the beds and pulled Ishaan onto my lap. "You are going to be very quiet on this ship. Do you understand?" He nodded and asked "Will Maa be coming?"

I looked at Agraj. "No, mother won't be coming. don't you remember Ishaan?" he said softly.

"She is with father in Vardha." Ishaan lied.

"That's right, Ishaan" I said. Agraj seated on the second bed, we avoided each-other's gaze.

***

Hello people!
I hope you all enjoyed the second chapter. Do give your reviews on the story, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Love,
Arya