Chapter - 1 Invasion

"Lock the doors as firmly as you can" my mother shouted. When the doors thundered shut, Ira drew the metal bolt into the place. Then, suddenly there was silence and only crackling of the torches filled the chamber. Ishaan, my younger brother began to cry.

"Be quiet" Maa snapped.

I approached the bed and took Ishaan in my arms. "Shh, don't cry. There's nothing to be afraid." I promised.

"Where's father?" he asked out loud.

I stroked his arm, "He will be here soon."

He knew I was lying. His cries grew higher pitched. My mother crossed the chamber towards the bed and slapped his little face, startling him to silence. His lips began to tremble, before he could cry again Ira took him from my arms. She climbed the marble staircase to first floor and I joined Agraj on the bottom steps. He shook his head at me.

"You should have slapped him Vedam." he said.

"Agraj, He's a child" I reminded him.

"And our mother is fighting for her crown. Hearing him crying for father is making it difficult for her to deal with the situation?" He said bluntly

Wrapping my arms around my knees I looked outside from the castle tower. Sun was settling down making me feel tightened in throat, as if the air I was breathing suddenly wasn't enough. At top of the stairs, my mother handed the sword to Ira. "Stay here and watch the windows." she commanded her. My brothers and I followed my mother's step to first floor. Outside soldiers were beating the door and pressing their face one by one to grille.

"Stay behind" my mother instructed.

We took few steps back. I dug my nails into Agraj's arm while our mother approached the door. There was a muffled sound of voices as she appeared before grille, and then the man on the other side told her to surrender. She raised her chin, "I will surrender, when your emperor Mritunjay gives me a word that Agraj and Vedam will rule over the kingdom of Vardha."

We moved closer to hear the soldier's reply. "I cannot give you the assurance, Your Majesty. But you may trust that your children will be treated with respect." he said.

"I don't care about the respect" she shouted.

Things were turning out of way for us. I moved forward to take a glimpse of the soldier's face, when someone's arm caught me around the waist. I felt the cold tip of metal at my neck.

"Maa" I screamed

Before Agraj could leap forward to defend me, a line of soldiers descended the stairs from the second story. They had come from the open window. Two held Ira and Agraj and third one held Ishaan by arm. "Let me Go" my mother's voice was sharp as warning. He freed her wrist, his built was well-muscled and a powerful chest in his late thirties. I wondered if this is Mritunjay.

"Take them to Mritunjay, he wishes to see them" he said.

My mother raised her chin. "Who are you?" she demanded.

"Avru, commander in chief of Mritunjay's army." Agraj looked across the chamber at me. Ishaan was crying hard, soldier holding him left his arm. He ran and hugged my waist tight. The man holding me chuckled softly. "Can you loosen up your grip a bit? my brother is scared." I requested.

"Sure" he said with attitude and loosened his grip.

"Let's go Dhuram" Avru said.

My mother's eyes flicked to him. "Dhuram, I know you" she said and came forward. He left my waist, but there was nowhere for me to run. The room was surrounded by soldiers. I picked up Ishaan and stood next to Agraj. "You are Dhuram, crown prince of Kalpi and son of emperor Veer. He lost his life in war and your father's friend Mritunjay took over Kalpi. Now you are the adopted son of Mritunjay and work under him. How proud you have made your father!" she said in sarcasm.

Dhuram clenched his jaw, "If I was at your place empress, I'd save my words for Mritunjay."

"What about my husband? Where is he?" she asked. Avru and Dhuram exchanged a glance.

"You can ask Mritunjay about him." Dhuram said.

We all were in our mother's room. "Where is he? Why is he making us wait? I want to know what's happening outside!" My mother paced her room back and forth, until it made me sick to watch her. Ira implored her to sit down. Ishaan scrambled from the bed on my laps and Agraj argued with me, "He's not going to kill us" but I argued back by saying "I don't think he's going to set us free either." There was a knock, and we all froze at our places. Ira and my mother opened the door. "Where is he?"

"It's him" Dhuram pointed at the man standing between him and Avru. "So, you are Mritunjay?" she said.

"Yes, and I presume you are Kaveesha." and the three stepped forward.

"Queen Kaveesha" I said.

"Vedam, sit down" Agraj whispered and pulled me back. Although Mritunjay and Avru were shocked by my reaction, Dhuram just smirked. Mother glared at me, "Be quiet Vedam, let me talk."

"For now, Shall I sit?", he had his eyes on our mother, as if he suspects that she might grow wings and fly away. He seated himself while other two remained standing. My mother threw a venomous look at Mritunjay. "Where is my husband, Hariaksa?" she asked.

"I'm afraid, you'll never meet your husband again."

Some of the colour drained from her face, she gripped the arms of her chair, and I covered my mouth with my hands. "I will allow him a burial at Vardha as per your wish" he added. Agraj, Ishaan and I hugged each-other tight. Ira held our mother. "In three days we'll sail to Kalpi with you and your children, my soldiers are taking your treasury along to Kalpi" he said while we were shock.

Mritunjay gave Dhuram sideways glance, then rose to depart. When he reached the door, my mother cried out. "Where are you going?".

"To have a view of Vardha." He turned and his eyes settled on me.

"Shall I take your children along?" he said.

I ran from bed and fell to my knees at my mother's feet. I wrapped my arms around her legs. "Don't send us with him please, Maa, please!". Something seemed to pass between them, and my mother nodded. "Yes, take my children with you."

"No, I won't go" I cried. Dhuram stepped forward and held my arm lightly, "Come" he said but I wrenched my arm from his grasp. "Don't make us go, please" I screamed. Ishaan was crying, and Agraj was pleading with me. At last, she threw her hands up and shouted "Ira get them out of here." I didn't understand what was happening. She came to me, touched my pearl necklace and ran her hands over my hair, my arms, my cheeks.

"Maa" I wept.

"Shh" she put her finger on my lips, then took Ishaan in her arms burying his head in her soft curls. I was surprised that Mritunjay waited so patiently. "You listen to whatever Mritunjay says" she told Ishaan. She turned to Agraj and me "Be careful, watch over them and do as you are told."

.....

Hello people!
I hope you all enjoyed the first chapter. Do give your reviews on the story, I'd love to know your thoughts.

Love,
Arya