Chapter 3 - Sailing

It was our third day on boat. Dhuram was standing outside our room, he beckoned to Agraj with his finger.

"Me?" Agraj asked.

Dhuram nodded, and Agraj stood. "What are you doing?" I demanded. "Vedam, He wants me to see me", While he covered the short distance Ishaan cried "You're hurting me". I was holding him so tight that I almost crushed his chest.

"Tell me about your father?" Dhuram asked. Agraj looked at me, wondering what kind of game Mritunjay was playing with us through Dhuram.

"He loved our mother," Agraj replied.

"And horses?"

Agraj raised his chin, "Yes, He loved horses and races."

"People from Vardha said that your father held races everyday of week. Is that true?'. Agraj grinned "Yes, there was nothing he loved more than the races." Dhuram eyes moved inside he room on me, "Did he teach you as well?"

"Yes, He taught riding to me and Vedam as soon as we could walk."

I was quietly listening to their conversation. They continued discussing about races, breeds of horses, warfare and art. I felt irritated on my brother for letting out our family's things to Dhuram. "Can you bring one of them to me?" he asked my brother. My eyes suddenly shot up when I heard this. Firstly, he asked about our father then his likes, our city's warfare and now he wants to have a canvas I painted. Agraj returned to our cabin. I shook my head angrily, "Never" I hissed. "Didn't you hear him? Vedam, please give." but I sat back among the cushions and turned to other side.

"Vedam, please give him one of your canvas sheets. He is waiting, take this situation as our test." Ishaan looked at me, I indicated him to get my book. He got my bag from the from the bed.

I took out the leather-bound book of my Mudra sketches. Its title was clearly written with golden ink by Ira. Since I was four, she taught me how to dance. Every move I'm able to make was passed on by her. "Hurry" Agraj implored. I flipped through the page and took out a loose sheet. It was an image of Kathak Mudra's. Agraj took it from my hand and moved to sunny courtyard. Dhuram saw it, he had fallen silent.

"Your sister drew this?" he asked few moments later looking at me.

"In Ganesha's temple, when she was seven." Agraj replied.

Dhuram ran his fingers on my canvas, "May I keep this?" he asked. I gave a little gasp from the cabin, "No!" They both turned to me. Agraj quickly said "She's talking to Ishaan. You can keep this." He took my sheet and left.

I pressed my nails into my palms, "What is the matter?" Ishaan asked.

"Our brother is giving away our things to Dhuram"

Ishaan looked at me in confusion "But Vedam Akka, we have already given all our things from palace" I turned to him, "No! they were taken by them not given and now Dhuram wants our personal belongings as well." When Agraj returned, I couldn't bear to look at him. "What's the matter with you? We're not in Vardha anymore." he asked harshly. "It's not wrong with me, its wrong with you Agraj. You are giving away our personal things to the one who murdered our family."

"Vedam, you are stubborn." he said.

"I don't believe you. How can you be-friend him?" I replied

"We don't have any other option."

"Stop it! Stop it" Ishaan cried, he kept his hands on his ears and Screeched "Stop fighting". "We are not fighting, Ishaan" I said comfortingly, but he had his put his head down on my pillow. I could see his pale skin was flushed. I kept my hand on his cheek, "Agraj, He's warm."