Chapter 7. Tony's POV

EVERYBODY'S TALKING BUT CAP AND I. I for one, already know my opinion on this. Don't know what's going on in Steve's mind but I'm hoping we agree. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor, which is one more than you have." Rhodey states. "So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a bunch of common criminals?" Sam retorts. "A 117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam, and you're just like, ''No, that's cool. We got it. '' Rhodey says. "How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asks. "I have an equation." Vision speaks up. "Oh this will clear it up." Sam says. "In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man, the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. And during the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate." Vision states. God, my robot son was like Google. "Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve speaks up finally. "I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict. And conflict . . . breeds catastrophe. Oversight . . . oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand." Vision says. "Boom." Rhodey says. I'm lying on the ground then turn towards Natasha. "Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyper-verbal." She says. "It's because he's already made up his mind." Steve says. "Boy, you know me so well." I say and gets up and winces. I rub the back of my head. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache." I say. I walk to the kitchen and grab a mug. "That's what's going on, Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort. Who's putting coffee grounds in the disposal? Am I running a bed and breakfast for a biker gang?" I joke sarcastically. I put my phone in a basket and tap it.The phone projects an image of a smiling young man. I look down, then back up, and pretends to notice the picture for the first time. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer, by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall. But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun. He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia." I state. The others look uncomfortable by this. "He wanted to make a difference, I suppose. I mean, we won't know because we dropped a building on him while we were kicking ass." I say as I take a pill with some coffee then I turn to face the others. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check! Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we're no better than the bad guys." I state. "Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up." Steve responds. "Who says we're giving up?" I retort. "We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blames." Steve says. God, I hate when we argue. It's like fighting with my dad. "I'm sorry. Steve. That - that is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not SHIELD, it's not HYDRA." Rhodey says. I'm happy he has my back. "No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change." Steve sighs. "That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stop manufacturing." I say. "Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose. What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go, and they don't let us? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own." Steve replies. "If we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact. That won't be pretty. You know what's gonna happen Steve." I state. "Your saying they'll come for me. Because of what happened. Because of my actions." Wanda speaks up. "We would protect you." Vision says. What are they? Dating? "Maybe Tony's right." Natasha says finally. I look at her in surprise. " If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off -" Natasha starts to say. "Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago? What happened to her?" Sam cuts her off. "I'm just . . . I'm reading the terrain. We have made . . . some very public mistakes. We need to win their trust back." Natasha states. "Focus up. I'm sorry, did I just mishear you or did you agree with me?" I ask. "Oh, I want to take it back now." She says. Though, I can tell it's sarcastic. "No, no, no. You can't retract it. Thank you. Unprecedented. Okay, case closed--I win. Cap you lose." I say before I hear a ding noise coming from his phone. He looks upset. "I got to go." He says and walks away.