Part I - Chapter 9

"This is why the prince does the climbing." I pant.

The bark is rough and it tears each time I step, making me more nervous by the second.

"Be caref -"

~Jayce, can't know that Randy's up there. ~

"Shhh!"

I look up to see Randy peeking his head out.

"Get back inside he'll see you!" I whisper.

Even from where I am, the roll of his eyes was obvious. Nevertheless he listens to me and goes back into my room. When he does, I breathe out knowing that Jayce did not see.

"Is something wrong?" Jayce calls.

~I spoke too soon. ~

"Um, yeah" I sit down on the last branch, "Just trying to figure this last one out."

The branch closest to the ground isn't as low as I thought it would be. From where I sit, it's about 6 feet high. To add to the list, the branch I'm sitting on is narrow and I fear that I'll fall back and crash in the bushes.

My breath skips, "Look ahead" I command myself.

"Jump" says Jayce from the ground.

"You're funny. No thanks."

"Come on, you're not scared are you?"

"N-No" I lie.

I'm very scared actually. I've grabbed onto the tree but it's too wide to get a grip on. My hands ultimately start to sweat, making me less comfortable then I already was. So, yes, I am very scared.

I hear a chuckle from beneath me.

"Will you jump now?" he taunted.

"No"

"Look down before you answer, Nari."
I peer over to see that Jayce has his arms up, smiling wide. I can't help but laugh at how he looked. Someone could walk by and guess that he's calling down his pet cat. Well, maybe not if they saw my dangling legs.

"Come down sweetie," he cooed, "I'll get you some catnip if you do."

"Last time I checked, I wasn't a cat." I answer back.

"A kitten doesn't want catnip? I doubt it." he persists.

"Shut up!" I scoffed.

I don't know how he can make jokes right now. Especially bad jokes.

~Ok, ok. It shouldn't be as bad as I think. It probably only looks high from up here. I'm sure the height is reasonable for a jump. ~

"Did you decide yet?" he asks impatiently.

"I'm thinking."

"My arms are getting tired, you think for too long." Jayce whines.

"Hey! You're not the one sitting 6 feet up on branch!" I snap.

He seems to find this situation funny as he laughs again at my outburst.

"Don't be so scared. The more scared you are the more nervous I get." Jayce says.

Jayce wavers from his place a little and crosses his arms.

"Still not jumping? Even when I'm gonna catch you? I'll be right here" he assures.

***

Jayce is making me go up to the jungle gym.

"Where's the fun in this?"