Part I - Chapter 11

The walk home is quiet.

"You okay?" Randy says while pulling at my waist. His arm is still around me.

I nod, "I'm more worried about your face."

Randy smiles, "As long as I don't look like you, I'll be fine."

I'm not in the mood for his games. I stop him right under a streetlight so I could get a closer look at him. As I turn to face him, his grip on my waist falls.

"We're gonna be late for dinner at this rate."

I silence him, "It's gonna be worse if your parents see you with a beat up face."

The yellow light above us casts shadows on Randy's face blacking out the caverns of his eyes. I walk up to him to get a better look.

"Hey" he starts.

My hands tilt his face up getting rid of the shadows. Thankfully there wasn't any blood or cuts. Just a spot on his jaw is reddening a little.

"Yeah?" I reply feeling relieved.

"I got taller than you."

~Last time I checked we were the same height. ~

"No you're not."

I fix my posture knowing that I'm right. But when I look back to Randy, his green orbs were slightly higher up.

"See, I am taller."

"Whatever." I laugh, "Let's go."

I turn and start again on the walk home. Randy follows behind me. The road and sidewalk are lit with warm streetlights. They are the only ones suggesting a path except for the peppered house lights. The lights are lovely either way.

The idea of being unseen sits nicely with me. I can be in this and not worry about any other eyes looking at me. Freedom. That is what this feels like.

Blending in with the night is giving me the best sense of stillness. Which is exactly what I need after what just happened.

"I'm sorry to ask but..." Randy says, "Are you feeling okay Nari?"

~Am I? Am I feeling...okay? ~

I just let out everything that I've been holding in towards Jayce. I definitely felt lighter but it is at the cost of Jayce. I have no clue what that cost includes but for now I'll just wait and see.

"I'm feeling relieved, that's all I can say."

"Alright, good to know. I wouldn't want to deal with a crybaby."

"Good to know that you can still insult me." I retort.

"I can always do that."

We both laugh and it's great to know that we can still act like before.

No one but Randy can see and speak to me right now and I welcome that idea also. Randy has never been one to be uncomfortable with.

"You know,I was always Iooking forward to the day that I would be taller than you."

I slow my pace until Randy is beside me, "Why?"

"Remember how you would always call me Shortie?"

"I never did that." I smile.

"Yeah, you did. When you first moved in."

Randy's tone implies that I'm supposed to know about what he is talking about.

~When I first moved in...~

Sadly, I don't remember. I don't remember and that bothers me immensely.