nineteen- take care of yourself

"omg, reid, " jasmine walked into the hospital, wearing jeans and a leather jacket

"omg, reid, " jasmine walked into the hospital, wearing jeans and a leather jacket. she pulled him into a hug, and his arms wrapped around her waist, while a tear fell from his eyes. "jas, if i lose him, i don't-,"

she shushed him, sipping his tears away. "don't finish that sentence, don't speak it into the air. now, tell me his status," she gestured for them to sit down in the waiting room.

"the doctors took him in a few hours ago, the nurse told me they're running a few tests- fuck," he ran his hands through his hair before placing them on his eyes.

"mr maxwell?" reid's head lifted and he spotted a doctor holding a file. "i have the results, would you like to talk in private?" jasmine mouthed 'go,' at him, and he slowly stood up, walking after the doctor.

"i can tell you're a young kid and i know this must be a lot for you," the doctor sighed before opening his file. "mr elvis maxwell has been diagnosed with pneumonia which caused a collapsed lung. he wasn't getting enough oxygen to the brain and that led to his collapse,"

reid felt the tension disappear from his jaw and he released a much-needed sigh. "with the help of a chest tube, there is a small chance he may be back in stable condition shortly,"

"chest tube?" reid asked, putting his hands in his front jean pockets. "what is that?"

"it a transparent tube that is inserted in the air-filled space which helps remove excess air. we'll attach it to a one-way valve device that will remove the air from the chest cavity until his lung is fully expanded," the doctor assured, and the teenager's eyebrows furrowed together.

"can i see him?"

"of course," he followed after the man, and into the room of his grandfather. there elvis was, laying on the hospital bed attached to many wires and machines, unconscious. a nurse was adjusting the equipment in the room before she smiled at reid.

"i'll give you some privacy," the doctor excused himself and the nurse followed after. the younger maxwell walked over to his bed, taking his hand.

"i'm so sorry, pops," he whispered, his eyes growing blurry. it wasn't long until the boy was sobbing next to his grandfather. "i'm sorry for everything, i should have listened to you. please don't leave me," he pleaded. "i can make you and mom proud, i promise,"

but there was no response.

reid walked back to the waiting room, running the skin on the back of his neck

reid walked back to the waiting room, running the skin on the back of his neck. "you just missed it. this blond heifer tried to come for me, talking bout i was looking at her husband a certain way. bitch, i'm looking at your husband because he looks like a musty walmart justin bieber that probably sold his child on craigslist that you don't know about," jasmine rolled her eyes, before sitting down. "well you know everyone dies, maybe she'll die,"

"you did not just say that in a hospital," reid mumbled, while she shrugged. he sat down next to him and crossed his arms. and then it hit him, how the fuck was he supposed to pay for this?

he looked at his phone, the time reading 4:17. "i'm sorry for calling you so late,"

"i was awake anyway, i was with my mom at the other hospital and besides, i'm always going to be here when you need me," jasmine assured, earning a small smile from him. there was a reason why they were best friends, they had each other's backs.

suddenly, the maxwell's eyes connected with kimberly who walked into the hospital. "hey, i heard about your grandfather. i'm so sorry," he felt his throat tightened as he stood up before she handed a bouquet to him.

"thanks," he awkwardly uttered while jasmine failed to hide a chuckle.

"can we talk?" she asked him, and he nodded. they walked out of the hospital, now standing in the parking lot. something felt off about this visit today, and he knew it had something to do with him. ever since he had slept with diana, he avoided kimberly and gave her one-word replies. he knew she would put her foot down, he just didn't know when.

"i have to get something off my chest-,"

"i need to tell you-," they spoke over each other causing the pair to awkwardly chuckle. "you go first," he assured. "look, i like you reid," she said, looking down at her shoes.

"but i don't think is working anymore,"

he sighed and rubbed his temples. "yeah, i had a feeling," she looked at him, her eyes growing blurry. if only things were different. "can i ask you something? did you really take me seriously or was i just some girl to you?"

"look, kimberly. i'm not gonna lie to you anymore. you deserve to know the truth. i've been seeing someone. so to answer your question, no. i didn't take you seriously," the girl began to sob softly, and reid felt a path in his gut. he hated being the reason why she was crying, he hated being just like his father.

"i'm ashamed of what i've done... kim, you deserve someone better," he played with the rings on his fingers, hearing sniffles from the girl.

"i'm sorry,"

"sorry isn't enough," she whispered and he felt a pain in his chest. "what does she have that i don't?" reid opened his mouth but he couldn't form any words. his mind traveled to diana and he cleared his throat, looking down. she had a smile that was capable of making reid fall to his knee's, her eyes were the prettiest shade of green, and her sultry voice was more seductive than a siren's.

"you can't even tell me? you know it sucks having to hear that i'm supposedly the second choice of my boyfriend from diana," she pulled out her keys from her purse and headed towards her car.

"wait a second," he said, grabbing her forearm and turning her around. "she told you that? kimberly, you were never my second choice-,"

"no, reid, i was. if i was your first choice, this girl wouldn't even be in the picture. and whoever she is, you couldn't keep away from her. so she's obviously your first choice," reid clenched his jaw, feeling nothing but regret and sadness.

"who is she anyway?"

she waited for an answer but when it was clear she wasn't going to get one, she shook her head. "you can't even tell me who you've been seeing. don't you think i deserve to know?"

multiple cars drove by them in the parking lot while reid's eyes couldn't even land on hers. from anyone driving by, they could see two teenagers were having a fight and the boy was ashamed.

"i'm sorry it turned out like this," his voice was gentle. "yeah, me too," she mumbled, wiping her tears away.

"goodbye, reid," she smiled softly, pain and disappointment in her eyes. "take care of yourself, kimberly,"

he watched from the front of the hospital, as she walked to her car, soon driving off. after a while, he finally turned around and headed back, the pain in his chest refusing to leave.

and now the girl was a stranger.