Stepdad Duties✨

TW// ⚠️ mention of past abusive relationship⚠️ 

"Shh...it's okay baby girl, Mommy's got you." Betty hushed as she bounced her one year old daughter against her chest to try and get her to fall back asleep after she was startled awake, wanting a feed, which she hadn't done since she was about 4 months old. Betty enjoyed the moment however, cradling the little one to her chest as she nuzzled into her breast and suckled gently. Betty assumed that she just needed some comforting, or maybe she was coming down with something.

Betty slowly changed Sophie's position and placed her so that her head was resting against her shoulder, rubbing her nose against her mothers neck as her wails settled and the sounds of the baby sucking on a pacifier traveled through Betty's ears. Betty turned slightly to check the time on the clock in Sophie's room, shocked to see that it was 2am. Recently Sophie had been having trouble sleeping throughout the night and Betty had put it down to something being physically wrong with her but after taking her to the pediatricians office and getting every possible test run on her, they were given the all clear, leaving Betty in confusion.

After gently lowering Sophie down into her crib she began to trudge back to her room, letting out a relieved sigh, hearing her bed calling her name. As Betty settled herself amongst the sheets, she reached over to her phone, typing a quick message out to her boyfriend, keeping him in the loop with Sophie as he had asked her too.

B: Just been up with Soph again. I have no idea what's going on and it's starting to worry me. Hope you're having a good night's sleep. I'm jealous.

J: I'm sorry, honey. I've checked, thinking that maybe it was nightmares but they don't get them until they're at least two. Maybe having her in with you for the next couple of nights will help?

B: I didn't expect you to reply. Thought you'd be asleep. Look at you Mr Pediatrician.

J: I keep your notifications on loud. I'm worried about Soph. Don't judge me!

10 months ago when baby Sophie was just 2 months old, Betty had met Jughead and she felt like time had stopped. She was so scared that maybe the fact that she was a single mom whose baby daddy was in prison might be a little off putting but if anything, it made him more keen. Betty had been settled on a booth at Pops, having a couple hours spare due to her friend babysitting and decided to go to Pops to grab a burger. Whilst she was pregnant, she couldn't think of anything worse and since she'd been breastfeeding it was all she could think about. He slid into the booth opposite her and wooed her with his charm and confidence.

When Betty had made him aware that she had a baby daughter, his face hadn't changed and he shrugged as if she'd just told him tomorrow's weather. She'd told him about her abusive ex that was convicted after Betty was rushed to the hospital whilst pregnant with Sophie due to his abusive actions. The trial hadn't lasted long with the evidence against him, thankfully for Betty and she was able to relax for the remainder of her pregnancy, knowing that this man could never hurt her or her baby ever again now that he was behind bars. He'd cried and told her that she and Soph didn't deserve that and he held her close as she cried with him. The first time he met Sophie was the first time that she had laughed. He was blowing raspberries against her belly after volunteering to help with bath and bedtime, when she let out the cutest little giggly squeal that made the new couple break out in smiles and gasps. Later that evening Betty sat on his lap in the nursing chair as her baby girl fed from her breast. He had looked at her with such admiration that it took her breath away slightly. When he had finally told her that he loved her 2 months later, he had informed her that that moment was when he knew that he was in love with her, watching her content in being a mother and nourishing her child in such a natural environment that it had blown Jughead away. Ever since he had met Soph, he had treated her as his own and she was so grateful for that.