Chapter 17

Somewhere Someday

(Chapter 17 –The Wheel Turns Again)

Today is the last day of Alfred’s basic education schooling. After five months of extensive studying and training, the young man would already be receiving his high school diploma. His lessons and exams are over, but Hanna tells him to attend the last class for she has something to show – a graduation gift.

“Glad you still came.” Hanna smiles as she is preparing something on a laptop. Alfred notices that there is a boxed metal thing placed beside the electronic notebook.

“What is that?” Alfred asks in curiosity.

“It’s an LED projector, used to show films, videos and other clips. Just like what they have in movie houses.” The young lady explains, asking him to sit down and get ready for his gift.

“I know. What I’m asking is… what is this… presentation?” The guy wants to know what Hanna is doing.

“Just sit down and relax. This is your last day here… my last day too. And… before you go to Germany for your higher studies, I will show you my gift.” Hanna explains “I’ve prepared this for a month. I hope you would enjoy.” She smiles as she closes all the windows and clicks the play button, starting the video presentation. She sits down beside Alfred as they both watch the film.

“It is a compilation of videos and clips about the years you have missed… from the 1950s to present.” Hanna makes an introduction.

Alfred’s eyes are in great wonder as he watches the video. The first part is about the 1950s… the music, fashion, culture and events… all compiled with a background song that makes the young man tap his feet.

“The song’s good! Who sang that?” He asks, making Hanna reply “That is a song by Elvis Presley. Rock and roll became famous during that decade.”

The clips continue flashing until Alfred goes crazy after the transition to 1960s. Another background song is played.

“That group is awesome! Makes me want to hear their song over and over again!” The young man gets fascinated by The Beatles.

“They visited the Philippines in 1966, making it their first and last concert here.” Hanna tells him a story while the guy frowns “Sadly, I missed that because I was frozen!”

“Don’t worry. I’ll download their songs and videos for you.” Hanna rubs his shoulder as the film continues to the disco-infested environment of the 1970s. She laughs as she sees Alfred moves his head to dance music.

The 1980s are shown next in which Alfred hides at Hanna’s back, seeing Michael Jackson’s music video of the song ‘Thriller’.

“Relax! It’s just a video, and did you know that it became a hit worldwide?” Hanna explains to the young man who closes his eyes to avoid the sight of the zombies.