Chapter 3: Competition

Heskan walked across the length of the hall of the dojo, each footstep making a resounding thump.
"Hand-On-Hand combat," he said, "you've been learning it for about four months. This is your assessment. You are standing opposite your opponent."
Leaper looked across the room at where Zealous was stood. He looked back, frightened. Leader and Zealous had already promised to go easy on each other, but a part of Leaper told him that Zealous wasn't buying Leaper's promise for a second.
"We've been through this a million times. Remember, though, this is Hand-On-Hand combat, so no Draconic Ancestry, and remember technique when using kicks and punching."
Heskan moved opposite Climber, who currently had no partner and got into position.
"Let's see what you can do, then. Go!" he shouted, then he ran at Climber.
Leaper did the same with Zealous. They met in the middle, and Leaper grabbed him and threw him to the floor.
10 seconds.
Heskan had said that you needed to pin your opponent down for 10 seconds to win. They had been taught how to count fairly by saying "Mississippi" between numbers. And so, Leaper began.
"1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Missi-" he hissed, but he stopped counting when Zealous pushed him back and got up. Leaper managed to stay on his feet, and he prepared to go for another bout.
It had been three years since they had arrived. Over this time, each of them had had a chance to prove themselves in training and assessments. They had been learning martial arts for the past four months, so it was time for their assessment now. But, I'm sure you're wondering, how can an 11 year old do that much damage to another 11 year old? Well, Dragonborn reach full size at age 8, unlike humans. They are much stronger than an average human, being ancestors of the dragons themselves.
And so, 11 year old Zealous was able to push 11 year old Leaper to the floor, and Leaper was able to push Zealous back upwards again almost instantly.
"You said you would go easy on me!" Zealous cried.
"To be frankly honest, I think you always knew that I wasn't going to," Leaper replied, throwing a punch which Zealous dodged.
"...Well, yes. But I hoped you wouldn't!"
"How about I give you my encouragement instead?"
"N-No!"
Leaper kicked Zealous in the leg, causing him to fall over. He leaped onto him so that he would not get up again.
"1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi, 3 Mississippi, 4 Mississippi, 5 Mississippi..." Leaper began, making Zealous' moves more frantic.
"No no no! Get off me!" Zealous complained.
Zealous kicked Leaper in the chest, sending him across the room to sprawl across the floor. The pain was so great, that Leaper could swear that Zealous had broken one of his ribs.
Heskan had decided to do a tournament-style competition for their assessment. In the first round, Leaper was to go against Zealous, Earbender against Shieldbiter, and Climber against Heskan, who had entered himself for fun, and because there was only five students.
After that, the person who lost first would be declared last, and the other two would battle to stay in the tournament. The winner of that would move one with the winners, and the loser would be declared fifth. Then, third and forth and first and second would go against each other. Afterwards, the losers would battle for third and forth, the winner getting third and the loser getting forth.
Then, the finals, where the finalists would battle for first and second. This was where Leaper wanted to be, and it wasn't like he had no chance.
And then what? Heskan had said that if someone performed rubbishly, then they would do some extra practice, but if everyone performed well, then nothing. The tournament was to simply to boost morale and motivation. Sure, it was confusing, but Heskan seemed proud of himself for making it, and it was practically forbidden to go against Heskan on anything.
"One... Two... Three!" Zealous counted menacingly, and on the three, he drove his foot into Leaper's chest, causing a new wave of pain to crawl through his ribcage.
"Four! Five! Six!"
Leaper desperately tried to get away, but to no avail. His movements were slowly getting him freed, but it wouldn't be quick enough.
And then, Leaper knew exactly what to do. It was staring him in the face, or rather, he was staring it in the ankle.
Leaper grabbed Zealous' leg.
"Never give up your leg!" Leader shouted, then he pulled Zealous to the ground. All before he reached ten.
Leaper lay on top of Zealous so that there was no chance of him getting up. And thus, 10 was reached.
"So much for going easy," Zealous rubbed his injured leg.
"We were last to finish, so at least you weren't last," Leaper shrugged.
He put forward a hand to help Zealous up, and he accepted.
"Wow. You two put on a hell of a performance," Earbender rolled his eyes.
"Oh, grow up," Climber sighed, and Earbender looked like Climber had just told him to kill himself.
"They're committed, Earbender. You know, I fought with Leaper's father, Admiral Donaar. They both have the same enthusiasm. Get some yourself, then comment on others," Heskan told them.
Leaper and Zealous looked at each other.
"Woah! Your dad fought with Heskan?" Zealous whispered.
"I... never knew," Leaper replied.
That was true. How could his father never tell him this, especially after all this time of being in his dojo?
"How come they never told you?" Zealous asked Leaper, almost as if he were reading his mind.
"Maybe they fell out or something, and they thought I wasn't old enough to find out what they were arguing about."
"But surely he would really let you have it if that were the case?"
"I don't know!"
"You too are really awful whisperers," Earbender whispered to them.
They both jumped, but refrained from yelping. Shieldbiter was giggling to himself, and Climber was smiling uncomfortably at them. Leaper felt especially guilty when he saw Heskan looking at the ground awkwardly. Was he right about there being an argument?
"So, then. Climber vs Zealous now, and the rest of you will do your matches in an hour, OK?" Heskan said as if nothing had happened.
"OK, sir," they all chanted.
"D-Don't call me sir. It's too flattering."