Chapter 13: Running

Leaper pulled on the last of his armour to Zealous' snores. Leaper didn't know when he'd see Zealous again, so he just accepted it.
Leaper sat on a stool and scribbled a note into a piece of paper:

See you soon. Stay in touch. :)
- Leaper

He placed the note on Zealous' bedside table, then left. He knew that if he woke Zealous up, he would try to guilt him out if it. He would have to see him... soon.
Leaper pulled out the list of people he was going to see before he left for his adventure.

Zealous
Climber
Earbender
Mouse
Mum
Heskan
Dad

Leaper ticked off Zealous' name, then looked at who was next. He immediately scribbled Climber out. Served him right.
So, Earbender. That meant going to the third floor of the hospital. Ugh.
Leaper shoved his list in his pocket, put on the backpack he had packed, then left Zealous to sleep.
As soon as Leaper left, Zealous smiled. His friend was finally going to fulfill himself.

Leaper looked up at the five story hospital on the site of the army base. His kegs felt itchy, and some undescribable force was stopping his from going in. In the darkness, the stone brick hospital looked like an evil fortress or castle. His legs shuffled nervously on the floor, then he purposely headed inside.
"Hi, sweetie!" The woman at the desk smiled, "Who are you here to see?"
"I'm here to see my friend, Earbender. Don't worry, I know the way."
"Just tell us if you need any help."
Leaper nodded thanks, then headed to the stairway. When he reached the third floor corridor, he checked each door individually to see if Earbender was in there. The truth was, he only knew the floor Earbender was on, not the room. But he didn't want the lady to guide him; he wanted to be alone.
Eventually, when he saw Earbender sleeping in one of the rooms, he waited at the door just out if sight. Leaper squeezed his eyes shut and tried to work up the nerve to go inside.
Before his conscience could tell him otherwise, he went inside.
And immediately regretted it.
Earbender wasn't sleeping at all; his eyes were open in a glassy, vacant stare. Leaper's breathing grew heavier and more frantic, and he threw up in a wooden bin next to him.
"No no no!" Leaper cried. There wasn't anyone else there to hear him.
Then, Earbender laughed and blinked a few times.
"Hahaha! You should have seen your face!" Earbender giggled.
Earbender saw Leaper's shaken face, then scoffed.
"I was only joking. The lady at the desk's a witch. She told me you were coming, and she set it up so I knew where you were. When you got close, I tried to fake my death to make you laugh."
"Well, it wasn't funny!" Leaper shouted.
Earbender laughed again, but when he saw that Leaper was having none of it, he stopped.
"I'm sorry," Earbender winced.
"The idea of walking in here one day and you being dead eats me up inside. You know that?" Leaper choked.
"I know. It does the same to me. And here I am, sat in bed!"
Earbender chuckled again, then sighed.
"I'm here now because I need to tell you something. Something important," Leaper explained.
"Oh?"
"I'm going away. I can't be here in Delmirev anymore. It hurts too much to think about what I've lost here, and the pain it has caused my friends."
Earbender cocked his head to one side.
"Is it because of me?" he asked Leaper.
"A little," Leaper replied grimly.
"I get it. It's alright. But before you go, just tell me one thing."
"What?"
"Yes or no?"
"To what?"
"Would you like to be my boyfriend? Yes or no?"
"It's not as simple as yes or no."
"Why?! Why is it not that simple?!"
"Because I want to say yes, but I know if I say yes, then your death will hurt me so much more!"
Earbender drew back, but he couldn't say he was surprised. Leaper closed his eyes and sighed.
"I'm so sorry," Leaper whimpered.
"Don't be sorry, just go," Earbender said.
"Earbender-"
"No. I knew you were thinking that, but at least you were honest. You can go on your little adventure now."
"I didn't mean to upset you."
"I'm not upset."
The truth was Earbender was crushed, but he wouldn't tell Leaper that. Leaper nodded, then turned to leave.
"Goodbye, Earbender. I'll see you when I get back."
"Bye."
Then, Leaper was gone. After Earbender was sure Leaper wasn't coming back, he began to cry silently to himself. He was going to die alone.