2- Remember

When Maddie woke up this time, she remembered everything. She remembered yesterday, getting sedated, and then dreaming about Dalton again. But she understood more, that everyone thought she was crazy. Dalton wasn't as alive as she thought he was. He was dead in this reality. If she freaked out more, she would continue being hospitalized. Maddie had to have a game plan to get herself out of here, and keep on her façade so she would be left alone.

"Hello, Maddilynn. How are you feeling?" A nurse said, smiling a touch too cheery.

"Fine." Maddie said, forcing a smile onto her face. "And it's Maddie."

"Do you remember yesterday, Maddie?" The nurse asked, the stress lines showing on her forehead as she spoke.

"Actually, yes." She said, changing her expression to a grimace. "I'm sorry about that. I had no control over myself, I don't know what came over me."

"We were told you have dealt with a great deal of trauma recently . Do you remember why?"

"Yeah, it was because of.." She paused, sighing almost too dramatically. "Because of Dalton, my late boyfriend. He passed away."

"Yes, and we had to sedate you." The nurse said, smiling. Why was she so goddamn happy? "But you are fine, there are no adverse reactions. We are prescribing you a sedative for when you begin to feel like this again, as well as a anti-depressant for you to take once daily."

"Okay.." Maddie agreed, pretending to listen. She wasn't depressed. She was angry, she was sad, but she had a reason, right? That makes a difference, right? Right? "When can I leave?"

" Ma'am- Maddie, you are free to leave today at 5:00 p.m., but I suggest you find someone to stay with you. We do not recommend you are alone. The adjustment to your medication will make you sleepy. It will not affect your energy after you've adjusted, except for when the dose leaves your system." She said, writing Maddie's discharge papers. " Any questions?"

"No, I think I'm okay." Maddie forced a smile. "Thank you."

The nurses smiled again, and left promptly. Maddie took a deep breath, running her hand across her face. How did this happen?

"Great. I have four hours stuck in this hell hole." Maddie complained, glaring at the textured ceiling. Just then her sisters entered her room, seeming very cautious as they sat down when they saw Maddie was awake.

"Hi, Maddie." Brynn smiled too brightly, taking a sip of the tea she had gotten from the hospital cafeteria. Brynn was trying to appear as if she was helpful and loving. Maddie loved her for it, but she just wanted some space.

"Hey, Brynn." Maddie returned the smile. She wanted a change of subject when she asked, "What's up?"

"Well, we're here for you, and um... yeah." Brynn laughed awkwardly, as if there was tension there. Maddie could tell everyone was on edge. She guessed it was of her own accord but she didn't want to voice her concerns. If she did, she'd hear an answer that she didn't want to hear.

"What's wrong?" Maddie asked. It was her attempt to figure out what was going on. Even though she already knew.

"Nothing, Maddie. Don't worry about it." Gen cut Brynn of as she went to tell her. Gen seems convinced that if they didn't speak about it, it wouldn't be real.

"She deserves to know, Genevieve." Brynn exclaimed, "Mom wants to get you some help. She wants to make sure you don't do this again."

"What do you mean help?" Maddie asked, trying to keep herself calm. She could hear Dalton's voice suddenly.

"Calm down, Maddie. It's fine. You're fine." She heard, but was nowhere to be found. It confused her more than it should, given the reason she was in the hospital in the first place.