The monster is a Basilisk

The trio of friends, Orion, Harry, and Ron, are flying over the dark forest in the Weasley families enchanted car when they finally reach Hagrid's house. The car comes down to the ground and crashes/lands on the ground allowing the boys to quickly pile out of the car.

"Follow the spiders. Follow the spiders! If Hagrid ever gets out of Azkaban I'll kill him!" Ron says angrily to Harry.

"Oh come off it Ron we're all right." Orion said.

Suddenly the car doors close and the car backs itself away from the boys before driving back off into the forest.

"That's weird." Orion says looking towards the car.

"I mean what was the point of sending us in there? What have we found out?" Ron asks.

"We know one thing. Hagrid never opened the Chamber of Secrets. He was innocent." Harry said.

"Of course he was innocent. I mean seriously, Hagrid? The heir of Slytherin?" Orion chuckled.

"He does have a point Harry." Ron said nodding along with Orion.

"Yeah I guess he does. Come on let's get back to the common room." Harry said as they all got under the invisibility cloak and headed through the castle and up to their dorms.

~

The next day the boys went down to the Hospital Wing to visit Hermione. Orion sat down on Hermione's bed next to her and held her hand while Harry put new flowers into her table side vase. Orion's face was filled with worry and sadness as he looked at Hermione's frozen state.

'Hermione. I'm so sorry.' he thought to himself.

"Wish you were her Hermione. We need you... I need you." Orion said whispering that last bit so neither of the boys could hear it.

"Now more than ever." Harry added.

As Orion was rubbing Hermione's hand he noticed that she was holding something in her hand, it was a piece of paper. Orion pulled the piece of paper out and unfolded it with his eyes widening as he read it. 

"What's that?" Ron asked seeing the piece of paper that Orion was holding.

"Guy's this is it. This is why Hermione was in the library the day she was attacked." Orion said handing the paper over to Harry who looked at it before standing up from his spot next to Hermione.

"Come on." Harry said as they rushed out of the hospital wing.

"Of the many fearsome beasts that roam our land, none is more deadly than the basilisk. Capable of living for hundreds of years, instant death awaits for any who meet this giant serpent's eye. Spider's flee before it..." Harry says as they walk down the corridor reading it. "Guy's this is it. The monster in the Chamber of Secrets is a basilisk. That's why I can hear it speak. It's a snake." Harry says. 

"Hang on, if it kills people by looking into their eyes then how come no one's died yet?" Ron asked confused.

Orion thought about it for a moment before he noticed his reflection, "That's cause no one's looked it directly in the eye before." he said as they continued walking. "Colin saw it through his camera. Justin must have seen it through Nearly Headless Nick. Nick got the full blast of it but he's a ghost so he can't die again. And Hermione, she saw it through that mirror she was carrying. She must have been using it to look around corners in case it came along." Orion finished.

"And Mrs. Norris? I'm pretty sure she didn't have a camera of a mirror, Orion." Ron asked confused.

"The water... There was water on the floor that night. She only saw the basilisk's reflection." Harry chimed in getting Orion to nod in agreement. Harry then walked over to another torch to read the paper. "Spider's flee before it. It all fits." Harry said looking at Orion and Ron.