CHAPTER 13

Heloise appeared at her cousin's doorstep when she was not home, and the unsuspecting servants let her in. Alone with the completely defenseless Ezra, she cornered the boy into his room, overpowering, restraining and molesting him.

The horrors the boy endured for the next four years filled the pages of the diary, described in details, the feelings of the powerless victim poured into the notebook. The boy had been on the verge of the suicide many times, and he intended to leave it behind as an evidence, but somehow, he always found the power to step back from the edge instead of plunging into the abyss, even if that meant to crawl back into his prison.

Then, at fifteen, without even being sure about his sexuality, Ezra came out to his mother, and the abuse stopped, but the teenager had to deal with the contempt and indifference of the one who gave birth to him. Satisfied with what she'd achieved, Heloise disappeared from her cousin's life, motivating it was finally time for her to rest.

The woman retired onto the exotic island she'd purchased years earlier while in control of the family's company, living a life of comfort and luxury until her death, two years later, from a mysterious tropical disease. However, while she was alive, Selma's cousin knew everything that happened in her younger relative's house, the news about the strained relationship between mother and son giving the woman tingles of pleasure each time.

****

Several days passed since Peyton answered her call, and Selma kept her word, stopping her attempts to contact Ezra, much to the young man's relief, but also confusion. As he knew his mother, she didn't take no for an answer from anyone, and he kept wondering if that wasn't another strategy of hers.

Indifferent as Selma was, the young Bloom never ceased to love her. That was the main reason why he kept silent about the abuse Heloise subjected him to. Eventually, Ezra thought at the time, his mother would have believed him, but the confrontation with her cousin would have been devastating, leaving the woman empty on the inside.

The investigation he and Peyton were working on advanced quicker than the two of them initially estimated, the evidence they gathered being more than enough for the police to raid on the place and operate arrests among owners and patrons alike. The two young men had a lot of free time on their hands until the next assignment, and after spending almost an entire day sleeping and recharging their batteries, they started to think about ways to use it.

"I've been thinking a lot over these past couple of days," Ezra started one morning while holding his lover, "and I think I'm going to pay Mother an unannounced visit one of these days. Maybe even tomorrow since it's also her birthday and the fancy party won't be held till Saturday."

"That's a great idea," Peyton enthusiastically approved. "I would love to accompany you if that's alright, of course."

"Nothing would make me happier," Ezra smiled weakly, "but I don't want you to feel unwelcome or offended. Mother can do that while smiling and acting inoffensively, she's a master of the game."

"I tell you what," Peyton smiled, leaning in for another tender kiss, "I'll drive you there and wait for you in the car. If your mother is in a good mood and wants to know me, you can let me know one way or another. If not, we'll avoid a potentially unpleasant situation."

"You always come up with the greatest ideas." Ezra wrapped his lover in a protective embrace, planting butterfly kisses all over their face, neck and torso. "And this is one of the million reasons I love you so much. I'm going to marry you one day, make you my better half."

Peyton responded to their loved one's delicate kisses with tender but heated caresses, and soon, the two couldn't keep the fire of passion under control, sparks flying everywhere. Their lovemaking was intense but sweet, both of them enjoying, tasting and exploring their partner's body as if it was the first time for both of them.