CHAPTER 21

"Please, Father. Let me go and talk to them, see why they're so angry with me," the young man implored Thaddeus for the thousandth time.

"Son, I can't do that," the man shook his head, "but I can tell you they are not mad, or angry, or anything like that, not at all."

"How do you know that? Did you go and see them? Talked to them? Are they alright?"

"Listen to your father, Ezra," Carter intervened, trying to put some sense into the young man's head, "and trust him. Nothing wrong is going to happen. Peyton hasn't gotten cold feet. You will be declared spouses in about three hours from now and live happily ever after. Take a deep breath and let's finish dressing you."

"Okay, I'm going to do what both of you said." Ezra sighed heavily, plopping down on the bed, "but that's only because I want to see them sooner."

"You, my son, are a very wise man," Thaddeus said, silently thanking to all the deities in the universe. "Now let's make you handsome for your spouse."

"Guys, are you sure everything is alright with Ezra? He doesn't answer my messages or calls," Peyton's voice was dripping worry as they turned to Alasdair and Leon.

"Don't worry, champ. He's just busy dressing to impress, but I bet he can't beat that," the older man spoke softly, gesturing in their direction. "I mean, look at you, all dressed in white, looking so great, ready to stole everyone's hearts."

"Do you think he changed his mind. It's possible for him to back down and leave us?" Peyton's innocence was disarming, melting the hearts of the two men.

"Look, dude," Alasdair intervened, trying to make his voice sound relaxed, without much success, "I know you're not a girl, well, technically you are, but...anyway, the thing is it brings bad luck if the spouses see each other before the ceremony. Besides, you look so hot in this white suit, that Ezra could get ideas by just looking at you, and then...you get it, right?"

"When I first met you," Peyton shook his head, amused, putting on the cufflinks, "I had no idea you have such a perverted, dirty mind. Does Ardan know about this side of your personality?"

"Yes, he does, and even more, adores it." The redhead swayed his hips, wiggling his ass in front of the other two. "My dirty side spices up our love life, baby. You can come for advice anytime. I'll gladly share from my vast experience."

"You're such a clown!" Peyton laughed softly. "But I'm forever indebted to both you and Leon because I wouldn't have met my Ezra if it wasn't for you guys."

The two best men hugged the soon-to-be-spouse, careful not to wrinkle their white, immaculate suit and shirt, and gave them a last, critical exam. Beyond satisfied by the result, Leon offered them a brotherly smile, then pulled up his phone, messaging Thaddeus, who promptly answered back.

According to him, a somewhat calmer Ezra was already waiting in the great salon and entrance hall, where everything was already set for the ceremony. Everyone, including the celebrant, was there, waiting for Peyton and their party. Reading the message, Leon nodded, opening the door wide, only to almost knock Adele out.

Smiling, the woman patted the man on the shoulder, assuring him that everything was alright with her. Stepping inside, she kissed the lucky spouse-to-be on both cheeks, offering them a splendid white, pink and red roses bouquet, and wishing them luck and a long, prosperous, and harmonious married life, filled with mutual respect and understanding.

Since she was in the same room with Peyton and the best men, Adele decided to join their party, so she waited for Steven to come and accompany his child to their beloved. Leon and Alasdair went ahead of all the others, taking their designated places, their faces giving away all the emotion they felt.