Chapter 2 - Sneaky Secrets

Base C, fondly called The Base by most of the hunters inhabiting it, was the third base for werewolf hunters in Teeland. There were other bases too, littered across the country for safety. Base C just happened to be situated in the middle of a vast space filled with lots and lots of trees...and unfortunately, a lot of werewolves.

Although it was far away from civilization, this did not stop the small community from being fully equipped with the modern technology it needed. It was a place built for werewolf hunters and their families.

To Kristine and many others, the Base was home.

When they got to the Base, there were children running around while some people were talking excitedly. They were celebrated with praises and applause as usual. Kristine knew that the success of this mission would once again get her Squad a trophy, something they already had plenty of.

Kristine had personally taken Lily down to the infirmary, ensuring that the doctors were already taking care of her before leaving. Lily wanted Kristine to get her shoulder treated too and she had been adamant about it but Kristine was quite stubborn. She wanted to go home instead, and she did.

The minute Kristine got in, she went straight to the fridge for a cold drink then she took out something to eat. The house wasn't big, just cozy and homely. Each room was in one way or the other connected to another. She put on a music player, while she danced around in the living room. Passing by all her numerous wolf hunting awards hung on the wall, she picked up picture frames, admired them and put them back to place.

One was her wedding picture with Daniel. She smiled while she caressed it. He had brown curly hair, brown eyes and he was a few inches taller than her. He also had such a wonderful smile. Looking at this picture made her remember just how much she missed him. She still remained the same as she was in the picture. Her black short bob, black eyes and small red lips. All the same, even her slightly curvy frame.

It looked like she hadn't even changed at all. Who would believe that this was taken two years ago and not just yesterday?

The next was her childhood picture with her mum and dad. Her mum said she was six in that picture. She wore a yellow faded top that seem not to be hers because it reached her knees. Her mum said she hated taking pictures. It seemed like it because here, she was looking away from the camera.

She giggled. How she wished she could remember that day, it sure looked really happy.

She suddenly heard someone scream from the doorway, snapping her out of her thoughts sharply. It was her mother and for some reasons, she looked absolutely horrified.

"M-mum?"

How did she even get in? Didn't she lock the door?

"Don't "m-mum" me. Why are you not taking care of that?" Her mother was quite shorter than her, chubby and had a few wrinkles at the corners of her eyes. Her brown hair was in a short curly afro and she was wearing a blue dress.

Kristine looked at what her mother was referring to and she shut her eyes momentarily before opening them again. She knew she was in for it. Now her mother wasn't going to shut up about this.

"You didn't have a bath too? Oh my God, Kristine. Do you want to kill me? You want to kill your poor mother? And I thought Lily was the one giving me a hard time."

She must have gone to see Lily before coming here.

Poor Lily, she had been the one to face their mother when her overdramatic worried side was still hot.

"Mum I--"

"Joe, get over here!"

She could hear her father's muffled voice but she couldn't tell what he was saying.