The sounds

She could finally relax. The girl wiped the dust and cobwebs of the old sofa and sunk into it. The TV had an old VHS player attached. " How old is this house?" The girl whispered to herself. She stared at the tapes next to the TV and slowly edged towards them. Kneeling down she carefully picked a tape up. The label on the tape was faded and unreadable. She ran her fingers up and down the other tapes. She picked out the third one and placed it into the VHS player. She sat back down and waited for it to play. Nothing, there was nothing on the screen, she kept glaring at it but it was only darkness. "Typical" spoke the girl in a soft whisper. She rolled her eyes and took the tape out, she threw it on the sofa and ran upstairs with floorboards still creaking beneath her. The room she was staying in didn't feel like it was her room, the house didn't feel like her home. Her room came with a bed already made, she got under the covers and closed her eyes, it was too dark to read and there was no electricity yet. Before long she was snoring but only in a light slumber.Then there was a creek, she rose with a start, "mum?" she asked scared. There was another creek but no answer. "Mum? Where are you?" She asked, getting worried. This time there was no reply, the girl thought she was imagining things but went to check it out. She got out of bed and went along the seemingly endless hallway until she stopped by the staircase and looked over the rail. "Huh" she shivered and rapidly turned around. It felt like someone was right behind her, with eyes burning through the back of her head, breathing down her neck. She stayed up for an hour, she couldn't sleep when all she heard was creaking and deep heavy breathing. As well as this she felt her heart thumping, pounding as if it was trying to burst through her chest with fear. It kept getting worse. She heard a bang come from the other room. She made her way there, slowly and prepared for a fight. She opened the door quickly but was greeted by the shelf and emptiness. She glanced over and saw the photo of her and her family. Next to it was meant to be another photo. The girl bent down to pick it up and heard a whisper. She reached for it quickly and went to put it back. It was a photo of her and her friends, she was smiling. She was happy. She hadn't been happy in a long time now even with being in her old house. She zoned out and thought about her friends. There was another whisper. The girl glanced over but as she expected, saw nothing. She placed the photo back in its original spot and headed back to her room, ignoring the sounds. Her room was slightly warmer than any other, slightly more soundproof too but that didn't matter because she could still hear muffles of voices through the walls.