Cool Mess

Skylar P.O.V

I was settled in my new apartment.
I thought about getting rid of Harper's things, mostly because my therapist suggested it.

I knew I'd never be able to get rid of her things, and in a thousand years would my heart be willing to let go of her memory.

Staring at the boxes of her things nostalgia hit all over again. Feeling mentally and physically drained I decided to go out and ease my mind, or so I thought.

The sound of waves splashing made me realize I was near the shore. This was something that would happen a lot everytime overthinking took ahold of me. I ended up walking and walking until something brought me back into reality, this time being the waves. I stared at the bright sun over the ocean, enjoying the full view and letting the breeze hit my face.

"Hey" I jumped in place and turned around
"Uh hey" I said awkwardly.
"Sorry for bothering you, but you look worried so I decided to check in on you"
She was cute, not as much as Harper but there was so much good energy radiating from her.

She had a nike long-sleeve half zip top with some tight long pants, some ear pods and her phone holder on her right arm. As she spoke I could hear her breathing even out.

"Um,thank you but I'm good this is just routine."
"Really? Where do you live? I've never seen you around here"
Great, as if I needed an interrogation at this moment.
"I live in those apartments, actually I just moved here. I should probably get going don't want to keep you back from your running."
"Oh no you're not bothering, you wanna go for some ice cream? That helps me when I'm feeling low."
I stood there placing one hand at the back of my neck thinking about her offer, or rather how to reject it without sounding rude. She spoke quickly,

"Come on my treat we won't be long"
With that said she pulled me by my arm and started walking. Since I didn't know the place so much I followed her without saying a single word until I saw a very small but appealing little shop with a sign that says "Cool Mess" along with an ice cream object inbetween the two words .

"Okay stranger, what flavor do you want?..okay let me guess.." she had a thoughtful expression and before I could answer she said
"Coffee?" Pointing one finger at me.
Does this woman ever stop smiling? because she smiles a lot not that she doesn't have a gorgeous smile.
"Yes coffee is fine"
"Hah, knew it you do look like a coffee type of person" she stated before turning around and making her order to the kind worker behind the bar.

When they handed her the ice creams she handed me one and motioned for me to follow her. I silently walked behind her and sat beside her on a chair by the glass window. Slowly I was eating the ice cream on my hand as I watched the people walk by.
"So what brings you here?" She brought me back from my daze yet again.
"Well, I needed to start over and my friend suggested I move out from my old apartment" I simply said not wanting to give details.

"I see, and what's your history?. You should think I'm very persistent but It's just this thing I love doing where I read people by the way they look, dress and think"
I looked at her, thinking if I should tell her my background or not.
"But if you don't want to tell me it's fine"
She quickly said smiling at me and shrugging her shoulders before spooning her ice cream again.

"Oh sorry, I just prefer not to talk about it. I just met you and I don't usually vent to people I barely know."
"I understand. Just enjoy your ice cream" she said pointing to my hand.

Flashback

After Harper gave me a tour of college, ofcourse not that I needed one but I just wanted to get to know her more.