CHAPTER 1 - The Betrothal

Fairy tales and happy endings are what is expected for royal families in the 1520s. Princesses dressed in their finest gowns paired with the sparkling emeralds and rubies. Whilst their hair is decorated in the utmost fashion. Anything to catch the eye of the handsome prince of their time.

Princess Isabel however, was not like any other princess, on the other hand, she could care less for the affection of the male species. She fumes at the idea of getting herself dolled up for a man's approval, let alone a prince. The idea of her being bound to a man simply for being the bearer of his child or to be the empty shell of a woman that keeps his bed warm is a tragedy straight out of a horror novel.

A princess she may be, but Isabel always believed in equality of both sexes, a matter she ceased to make known across her country Navarre.

Isabel considers herself to be like any other commoner at an early age, minus her royal attributes of course!. She spent most of her childhood in the kitchen, learning the arts of baking and cooking from the palace cook and her self-proclaimed commoner mother May Deprise.

She longed for the day that she would be free of her royal duties as the future queen of Spains owned Olite Navarre. Will that day ever come to pass? We can only wait and see...

The morning of June 15, 1520, was a bright and sunny day for everyone at the Royal Palace of Olite, everyone except Isabel. She is to be betrothed to the future king of France and let's just say she won't be taking the news well. Isabel is the only child of King Jonathan Domínguez and Queen Juliet Domínguez. Born October 20th year 1502, Isabel Emma Domínguez is a young beauty like no other, her hair has delicate waves that descend upon her shoulders. Its color was striking magma-red which glowed as if it were on fire. A beautiful combination for her honey-sweet lips that are as soft as lilac. Her icy blue eyes were mesmerizing, just one look and she would melt even the most devilish of hearts... Her beauty was not only skin deep, it was simply pure.

A week ago, King Henry of France sent his proposition of marriage between his son Prince Hakeem St, Pierre to Spain's young princess, Isabel Emma Devarow.

To say his request was a surprise would be an understatement. France has always kept to itself in all parliamentary matters. So for King Henry to propose such an alliance is quite abnormal.
Though it was not expected, this proposition came at a rather crucial point for Spain.

Spain is known for its large markets and its citrus-orchard-rich and irrigated lands, however, it fails in comparison to France's grand vegetation and produces production which Spain severely lacks.

Should they proceed with King Henry's proposal, it would benefit the town of Olite greatly.
The only question is how would they break the news to their only daughter?

"Maggie!" Queen Juliet shouted

"Darling, could you bring me my daughter, I wish to have a word with her"

"Yes Your Grace" Responded Maggie as she bows in response

"What do you think my dear? How do you imagine her taking the news of her betrothal?" Asks the Juliet

"She is the Heir of the Kingdom of Olite,.. furthermore, she is my daughter. I don't doubt that she would do what's right for herself and the kingdom" Responded King Jonathon

Queen Juliet sighs as she thinks of her husband's words

"I do hope you're right. We are breaking the promise we made with her. We promised never to marry her off and let her find love her way, now here we are doing the opposite of our promise."

"Not to worry, I'm sure it will be just fine" Stated Jonathan

In the kitchen, Isabel busied herself making her favorite pastry, apple pie. While her best friend Sam persists in eating Isabel's delicacy rather than giving a helping hand.
The kitchen was cream in color, the paint has faded over the years, giving it a more rustic look. It was filled with all the cutlery known to man, there were ovens and large fireplaces for roasting and cooking meat. ... The fireplaces are so large it could fit a full-grown man while standing up.
Attached to the kitchen were a buttery, pantry and various storerooms. All the fandangles of a true royal kitchen.