Chapter 20: The Mother

A week had passed and the weekend was just around the corner. Jungha was excited because his mother would be returning home to the city. Ever since Jungha began high school, his mother had found a new job working as an assistant to the CEO at a well-known company in another province. Jungha had something planned after class. Once the bell rang, he casually wandered to Rain's desk.

"Rain, I'm going to walk with you and Jiang to see Mickey. There's something I need to ask him," he stated.

Without glancing at Jungha, Rain replied while packing up, "Okay, give me one second."

Jungha looked over to see Jiang, who was waiting behind them.

"You've been quite chummy with Mickey and Rain, haven't you? Don't you have other friends besides them?" Jiang insensitively remarked. His eyes were dark and tired.

Jungha cleverly answered, "I could ask you the same question too Jiang! You've been spending a lot more time with them as well. Are you worried I might replace you? Ha-ha."

Rain burst into laughter, "Oh he got you, Jiang. Don't bully him too much Jungha, or else he'll go back to treating us bad again."

Jiang scoffed and headed out the door, "Hurry up and get moving. I don't want to stay here any longer than I should."

They saw Mickey from a distance, standing by the school gates. Unable to contain himself, Jungha made quick strides to Mickey first.

"Mickey! Can you come to my house today!?" Jungha exuberantly asked.

Mickey raised one brow, "Huh, what for?"

Jungha eagerly elaborated, "My mom is back in town from work. She's only visiting for the weekend and I wanted you to meet her before she leaves."

Mickey saw the glimmering stars in Jungha's eyes. Something inside of Mickey did not want to disappoint his friend.

"I was going to work at our stall today, but since your mom is only here for a short amount of time, I can go with you. Rain or Jiang can watch the store today." Mickey devised.

Rain and Jiang overheard and shot sour glares at Mickey.

"This is the second time you've ditched us to hang out with Jungha," Rain complained.

Mickey curved the corners of his mouth and spoke sarcastically, "Think of this as payment for all the times I went to sell by myself. Today is a special day, I can't let my good friend Jungha down. I'll be back to help you close, promise!"

Rain pouted, "Fine! If there are any good snacks at Jungha's house, bring some back for us."

Jiang snickered, "You really have no shame, do you? Taking food from other people's house?"

Rain contended, "I'm close enough with Jungha to take things from him," She proceeded to showcase Jungha's dashing face, "Look! He doesn't even care, and when Mickey does come back with treats, I won't be sharing."

Mickey chuckled and whispered to Jungha, "Let's leave before we get stuck listening to them arguing."

Jungha chuckled as well and nodded.

Mickey intervened, "Okay! We're going now. See you guys later!"

The two boys joyfully ran out of the school premises and onto their weekend. While on their way, Mickey was a bit confused about Jungha's family situation. Though they been spending more time together, Jungha never mentioned anything about it.

Mickey could not help but ask, "I didn't know your mom worked in another city. Now that I'm thinking about it, I don't really know anything about your family, Jungha"