Chapter 6: The Weekend Together

The evening was when the marketplace was at its busiest, during the weekday. This district was crowded with people who had just finished their day at work or school. A social hub where people came to take leisure and run errands. It was brimmed with stalls and small owned businesses. Half of the area sold fresh commodities such as, meats and produce, to live seafood and animals. While the other half was occupied by tailors, jewelry makers, and other craftsmanship a person could think of.

Mickey enjoyed working here, the lively atmosphere was a pleasurable feeling to be a part of. Only Mickey and his grandmother were working there that day. As usual Mickey was concentrated on his work, from restocking vegetables, to greeting customers. Devoted to his family, Mickey knew how hard the life his grandparents had lived and wanted to make their life easier.

An hour had passed, and the waves of customers began to diminish. Mickey was finally able to relax and sat down on a wooden stool. Mickey leaned both his hands in front of the seat, while recalling everything that happened today. Even though Mickey was able to mask his emotions, anyone could tell that something was puzzling the poor boy.

"How come Rain never comes with you to help?" Mickey's Grandmother asked.

Mickey recollected his thoughts, "I don't know. She is probably out with a friend." He answered, shrugging his shoulders.

Mickey's grandmother shook her head in disappointment, "Tsk...that child. Her parents sent her here to become a proper woman. How can she if she is playing around all day?" She then turned her gazed to her grandson, "I know you're still sad about what had happened to your parents, but there is nothing we can do. Mickey, I hope one day you will be able to find someone who can understand you, so you can let go of this pain." Mickey's grandmother said, her voice was kind and revering.

As those words flowed into Mickey's ears, a feeling he could not describe was coursing through his body. Emotions of gratitude, sadness and confusion all clashed together at once inside of him. The feeling was slightly unbearable, for the six-teen year old. Silence lasted for a brief moment until Mickey's Grandmother spoke again, "Since tomorrow is the weekend, you, Jiang, and Rain can run the store while Grandpa and I go to the garden. This way you can teach Rain and show her what to do."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saturday had come, and the three teenagers would run the stall together that day. Everyone had woken up before the sun had risen from the night sky. Rain dreaded waking up early to work, but she was easily convinced to go, otherwise it would have defeated the purpose of her living here. Jiang on the other hand, was surprisingly willing to help. This was because his father had asked him personally, Jiang respected his father, and he was the only person who Jiang would obey.

Jiang headed out the door first and was going to be the one driving. Mickey and Rain quickly followed, believing Jiang would leave them to walk by foot to the market, if they did not hurry. They were going to take their family's truck, which occupied two seats and a woven bamboo stool tied down in the middle. Mickey immediately ran towards the vehicle, clutching his hand on the door handle.

"I call sitting in the comfortable seat!" Mickey exclaimed.

"Why do you get to sit there? Are you really going to make me sit on that dirty old chair? It looks like it's going to break at any time!" Rain retorted.

Mickey opened the door courteously, as if he were a valet, gesturing her to enter in first.

"I always sit in the middle when I go with Grandma and Grandpa. Since you can't drive and my status at the moment is better than yours, I get the better seat!" Mickey said cunningly, with a smile on his face.