Chapter 1

"Brooke!"

Sighing, Brooke quickly rinsed off the last plate under the cold running water, turned the faucet off and grabbed the hand towel. Turning, she quickly dried her hands before tossing the towel onto the counter behind her. She smiled when she saw little Kasey screeching to a halt in front of her, her eyes wide and cheeks flushed.

"What has you so worked up, KayKay?"

"There's a new couple in Ms. Havens' office!" Kasey could hardly contain her excitement.

It was always this way at the orphanage. Any time someone showed up and spent time in the office, it usually ended with one of the kids being adopted. Therefore, tension and excitement was rampant in the atmosphere among the kids. Everyone wondered who was going to get a new family next, and each secretly hoped it would be them. There was nothing worse than being left behind. Brooke knew that feeling all too well. She had now been here for a little over ten years and she had lost count of the number of friends she had made and lost as they each were given a second chance at having a real family.

Everyone but her.

Brooke looked down into Kasey's eyes, so full of hope and longing that it tugged at Brooke's heart. Kasey had shown up at the home seven months ago and had wormed her way into Brooke's heart from the beginning. She was a cute little six year old girl with curly red hair and the most adorable dimples Brooke had ever seen.

Placing a hand on the little girl's shoulder, Brooke gently turned her and guided her out of the kitchen.

"Let's go make sure everyone is aware that Ms. Havens has clients. We want to make sure you're all ready, just in case."

Kasey slipped her hand into Brooke's as they walked down the hall towards the bedroom the kids all shared. "What about you?" she asked, looking up at Brooke.

Brooke frowned slightly, "What about me, sweetie?"

"You need to make sure you're ready too! You spend all your time making sure we're ready but what about you?"

Brooke swallowed the lump forming in her throat and tried to laugh. "KayKay, you know I've been here a long time. I'll be seventeen in a few months. If no one has wanted to adopt me before, the chances of it happening now are slim to none. I'm too old." She gave Kasey's hand a squeeze. "Now you, on the other hand, no one is going to be able to resist you." She winked at the girl.

Kasey stopped and tugged at Brooke's arm. "That's not fair! Some family out there would be so super lucky to have you! You would be an awesome sister to have!" She looked down at the ground and whispered, "I wish you were my sister."

Brooke knelt down and gave the little girl a tight hug, "As far as I'm concerned, KayKay, we already are sisters. No matter where either of us end up."

Kacey threw her arms around Brooke's neck and squeezed hard, "I love you, Brookie."

Brooke closed her eyes tight and quietly whispered, "I love you too, KayKay"

Fighting back tears that she refused to release, Brooke cleared her throat and untangled the little girl's arms from around her neck. Standing, she tapped Kacey on the tip of the nose. "Now, let's go get the others, shall we?"

Both girls smiled at each other and continued walking down the hall.

***

Brooke opened the door to the small room all the children shared and smiled to herself when Kasey excitedly ran past her and into the room, eager to be the one to share the news with the others.

"Guess what!?" she exclaimed loudly.

All four of the other kids quickly raised their heads at her outburst.

Brooke placed her hand on Kasey's shoulder. "Not so loud, KayKay. Remember, these walls are thin. Mrs. Haven won't be happy if she hears screaming and hollering all the way in the office." She smiled softly as she reprimanded the girl, not wanting to upset her.

Kacey cringed, "Sorry." Looking back at the other kids who were still waiting patiently, she lowered the volume of her voice and said,  "Guess what?"

The dark haired boy sitting on his mattress with his back against the wall rolled his eyes. "Just spit it out and quit with the drama already."

"Jonah! Be nice!"

He looked over at the two girls sitting on the mattress across from his. "What? Everything is so dramatic with her. Its annoying."

Taylor stood up from her spot next to Lily, the dark haired girl who had just spoken out against Jonah. Placing her hands on her hips, she stared down at him with disgust. "Jonah, Kasey is six years old. What do you expect? Of course she's going to be dramatic....she's six!" Her lips curled in disgust, "What's your excuse? Does being thirteen automatically give you the right to be a jerk!?"

Jonah jumped up, his face turning red.

"Whoa everyone!" Brooke stepped between the two kids. "Lets all just take a deep breath."

This was nothing new to Brooke. Jonah and Taylor had been at each others throats since he showed up at Wedgewood, six months ago. Taylor was a pretty twelve year old blonde who had been dropped off two years ago, after her mom passed away and her dad couldn't handle the grief, let alone the thought of raising a young girl on his own. She had been a big help to Brooke over the last two years with the younger kids.

In addition to Brooke, Kasey, Taylor and Jonah...there was also Lily, 10 and Max, 7. Lily was a true orphan whose parents had died a year and a half ago and her Aunt dropped her off right after the funeral. She had never been close to her Aunt so wasn't too upset about being dropped off. Max, on the other hand, doesn't talk much. He's been here for about a year but no one knows who dropped him off or why.

Everyone gets along pretty well, with the exception of Taylor and Jonah. Breaking up their constant arguments and dealing with the tension their animosity created was exhausting to Brooke. It sometimes had her wishing that one or the other would get 'adopted' sooner rather than later, just so she could have some peace around here again.

Unfortunately, 'business' had slowed down lately and no one had come around looking to adopt in quite awhile. In fact, the last adoption had taken place just a month or so before Jonah had arrived. Thankfully no more kids had shown up on their doorsteps since he arrived. There were no available mattresses at the moment.

Which brings us back to the present:

Taylor and Jonah both glared at each other for another second or two and then Taylor finally spun away, blonde ponytail swishing as she huffed back to her mattress. As she plopped back down next to Lily, she stuck her tongue out at Jonah.

Jonah let out a frustrated growl and then stomped back to his mattress. Crossing his arms he looked over at Brooke grumpily.

Sighing, Brooke shook her head at the two and then turned back to Kasey. "Ok, sweetie...the floor is all yours."

"Yay! Ok," Kasey clapped her hands together and burst out, "Ms. Havens has customers in her office! Someone might be getting adopted today!!" She grinned excitedly, showing off her recently missing tooth.

"What!?" squealed Lily and Taylor simultaneously.

"Yes!" Kasey squealed.

Taylor and Lily jumped up and ran to Kasey, all three girls hugging and jumping up and down excitedly.

Brooke smiled at the girls' excitement while Max just ignored all the commotion, continuing to draw in his notebook.

Jonah rolled his eyes, "Girls are so annoying."