Chapter 3

Brooke sighed and turned her attention back to the remaining man in the room. He had been watching the exchange between the other couple and Kasey, all while silently assessing the rest of the kids.

Ms. Havens gave him her full attention. "Have you made a decision, Mr. Cole?"

"Yes, I have. I will take that one." He pointed at Taylor, not bothering to step any closer.

Brooke glanced over at Taylor in surprise.

"Taylor! Come meet Mr. Cole. He will be adopting you today." Ms. Havens barked.

Taylor glanced uncertainly at the other kids then stepped forward, walking over to the man. "H-hello" she stammered, giving him a small, hesitant smile.

He squinted his eyes and looked her over from head to toe and then turned to look at Ms. Havens, who was waiting impatiently. "Yes, she will do." He quickly slapped a check into the older woman's hand and turned on his heel toward the door. He snapped his finger at the scared blonde girl and snapped, "What are you waiting for? Lets go!" He continued out the door, not looking to see if she was following.

Taylor's eyes widened as she looked at the door he had just walked out of and then back at Ms. Havens, who scowled at her.

"Well, don't just stand there. Go!"

Taylor swallowed hard and then turned to go. She stopped when she came alongside Brooke and the others. Lily gave her a quick hug and tried to reassure her, "It'll be ok. Maybe he's just one of those people who are always in a hurry."

She gave Lily a small smile and whispered, "Thanks, Lily. Bye."

Taylor glanced over at the two boys. Max just continued to stare at the floor, as he had done since they had entered the room. Jonah smirked at her, "Looks like you're getting the home you deserve, with someone who won't put up with your crap."

Taylor glared at him, "I hate you, Jonah. I really do. Anywhere will be better than here with you!"

She quickly turned and threw her arms around Brooke. "Thank you for everything!"

Brooke squeezed her and smiled, pulling back. "I'm happy for you and I know everything will work out just fine."

Taylor smiled at her one last time and quickly made her way to the man who was waiting impatiently outside for her.

***

*Two Weeks Later*

"Ugh! I can't do it!" Jonah slammed down his pencil in frustration.

"What's the problem?" Brooke wiped her hands on the kitchen towel and walked over to where Jonah and the other kids were sitting, doing their daily school work. She bent over his shoulder to look at the math problems he was working on. "Um..." she furrowed her eyebrows in concentration. "Ok....well, I think you need to add these two together first," she pointed, "before you move on to this part."

"This is so stupid! Why are we stuck doing this crap on our own instead of going to school like normal kids?? How am I supposed to get this when you don't even know how to do half of it?" he complained.

Brooke sighed as she straightened back up. "We've discussed this before, Jonah. You know Ms. Havens doesn't want to mess with having to enroll and unenroll kids at the local schools. She would be doing it more often than not." Brooke walked back over to the stove. "Supper will be ready in about 10 min. Lily, Max...you both doing ok over there?"

Lily nodded, "Two more chapters and I'll be done with my reading for the day."

Max nodded once before going back to his spelling practice.