Chapter Twenty Five

"Set this on the table behind you, my dear," William says, dropping two screws into your open palm.

You do as he says, turning around briefly before returning your eyes to him.

He sits on a swivel chair backwards, his legs open with his forearms resting over the back of the chair and inside the chest cavity.

In the heat of his work, his black suit coat came off and is folded on the table behind you, his white button up shirt pushed just under his elbows with a light oil stain on one sleeve.

You watch his mind run as his hands work, him in deep concentration figuring out the issue deep within the suit while he adjusts specific wires and screws.

His tongue grabs his bottom lip, his eyes squinting slightly beneath furrowed brows.

His breathing is somewhat heavy yet stable, and the faint line of sweat across his forehead further reveals his devotion to his work.

Despite his concentration, the two of you have kept in quiet conversation with you occasionally assisting him whenever possible.

"Aha," he whispers to himself, tilting his head for a better view into the cavity.

He sighs audibly as his large hand pulls out the pipe wrench, a bent screw held at the end of it.

You smile as he lifts the screw up, amazed at how such a seemingly insignificant and tiny piece could cause the entire springlock suit to malfunction.

Wavy strands framing the top of his face, his deep brown hair is messy as usual.

The pale silver of his eyes look at you with a deep stare, you can't help but melt into his eyes.

He is certainly a charismatic type, the way he effortlessly carries a conversation and allures you with unmatched charm.

It is a shame the kind of man he is, the kind of things he does, or else you might find yourself falling for him.

"Most of the work is behind us now, love," he notes, exchanging the pipe wrench with some kind of pliers from his toolbox.

"I've just got to replace a few parts, then finally try the suit on before we can leave."

You nod with a smile, averting your eyes from his gaze while you think to yourself.

You aren't sure if it's the position he is sitting in, his legs spread open straddling the back of the chair, or his slender yet strong arms exposed as they extend into the metal void...

But he's making you feel a certain way.

A way you hadn't quite felt before.

A subtle blush grazes your face as you watch him, his attention focused fully into handling the issue swiftly but effectively.

You hate your conflicted feelings; the constant battle in your mind between what you know is right and wrong, how you know you should feel and how you actually do.

You hate how he dismisses it, how he hides his lies and vile undertakings, you hate his lack of conscience, how he kills just for fun, fun, fun, fun.

The man is selfish, erratic, dirty.

Your mind knows this, but your heart foolishly refuses to believe it.

You watch as William sets the toolbox aside, standing up from his chair and swiveling it under the desk beside you.

It is getting late, and it is clear he is doing his best to work as quickly as possible, though he would never sacrifice precision for speed.

He wipes his forehead with his sleeve before turning to face the suit, his tired dull eyes blinking as he reaches for the leg pieces first.