Chapter 13: Flutters

Anokhi paused, moving back to get a full view of Shaurya's face. Shaurya's caressing of her belly had excited her, but she wasn't sure why he had suddenly stopped. Perhaps he was awaiting her approval. Or maybe he was feeling awkward regarding the whole friendship thing they had started. Well, that had ended in hours. Proof that the entire idea was stupid.

"Shaurya." Anokhi's breathless voice was music to Shaurya's ears. Her brown eyes spoke volumes of her arousal. He could continue, but it would be improper without asking her consent.

"Hmm?"

"Let's scratch the friendship deal between us. It's not going anywhere.." She hesitated, but continued further. "I can't control my desires around you so there is no point in concealing them and making things more awkward. Like you said, fuck the friendship."

Shaurya smiled, his dimples showcasing themselves. He was proud of Anokhi for trusting him and speaking her heart out. It was an improvement, and a step in the right direction.

"Yeah. Let's forget about that deal." Fixing her recently messed-up hair, Shaurya placed his forehead to match Anokhi's, softly breathing. "Now, why don't we wrap this up at home? I believe I still need to give you a proper room tour."

Anokhi blushed upon Shaurya's teasing, her face turning tomato red. She stared into his eyes, her stomach churning with butterflies in anticipation. "I would like that."

Anokhi's arms hugged Shaurya's neck while he hesitantly placed her back into her seat. She buckled up, the foolish grin on her face rigid. Intertwining her hand with his, staring at the thunderstorm, she waited impatiently for the storm that was about to arise inside her.

__________________________________________________________________

Shaan paced up and down the hallway, planning what to say to Aastha. He needed the right words to comfort her. The talk on the phone had been so disturbing to her, indicated by her falling unconscious after Shaan's hanging up. He was weak when it came to saying the right things. Even during Aastha's departure from the Sabherwal's, Shaan hadn't been able to come up with the correct thing to say. He had supported her, but when it came to challenging his brothers, he kept mum.

A few minutes later, the nurse informed Shaan of Aastha's health, giving him the permission to go see her. Shaan walked in, the worry on his face being given away from the wrinkles on his forehead. Aastha laid on the hospital bed, her eyes fixated on Shaan. She didn't expect him to be here, of course.

"Shaan? Tum kab aaye?"

She struggled, trying to sit up straight, but Shaan ran in and placed her back into a sleeping position. "Stop exerting yourself Noor. You of all people should know that." Sitting beside her, Shaan placed his palm on Aastha's hand. "Noor, mujhe tumhe kuch batana hai. Maine tumse kabhi share nahi kiya par Aditi ke jaane ke baad mujhme kuch bacha hi nahi. Main khaali pad gaya. Jab Shaurya iss duniya mein aaya maine phir se zindagi ko ek mauka diya, aur purane dardon ko daphna diye."

Shaan was surely sharing his feelings, but he intended to help Aastha share her own. She always held back, packing her pain within her. He couldn't bear seeing that anymore. The consequences were detrimental.

Aastha's eyes grew big as she connected to Shaan's each and every word. She had suffered after Aditi's passing, much more than any Sabherwal. Her own flesh and blood had been taken away. It wasn't easy losing a child.

"Shaan? Main iss baare mein baat karna kabhi pasand nahi karti thi, par ab jab tum bol hi rahe ho, mujhe bhi kuch kehna hai. Main abhi bhi bhul nahi payi woh dard. Bhagwan ne mujhse meri nanni pari cheen liya aur main dekhte reh gayi. Kya paap kiya tha humne jo hume apni beti ko khona pada?" Aastha's tears flowed as she spoke. Wiping them away with the back of her hand, she continued to vent her feelings to her ex-husband.

"Jab ghar pe Shaurya aur Anokhi billi ko bulate hain, mere andar kuch hota hai. Haan maine hi suggest kiya tha, par sunke buri yaadein laut aati hain. Shaan, main nahi chahti ke hum uss dard se phir guzre."

Shaan stood up and cupped Aastha's face, comforting her. He was glad she had let out whatever feelings she had been hiding. "Noor, tum ab rest karlo. Bohot raat ho chuki hai. Ghar mein sabhi ko keh denge Aditi naam boring hai billi ke liye aur change karwa denge. Okay?"

Stroking Aastha's forehead, Shaan provided Aastha assurance and a solution. Relieved to see Aastha fall asleep peacefully, Shaan called Gayatri, updating her about his sudden departure, as well as the situation.

__________________________________________________________________

Anokhi waited in the car as Shaurya walked towards her door to open it for her. She was in awe of his maturity level and understanding. He always listened to what she had to say, and never once did he disappoint her. She wished she had met other men like him so her perception towards men wouldn't be so negative.

As the door opened, Anokhi's breath hitched. This whole time she was so engrossed in Shaurya that she forgot about what was coming next. What was she supposed to do? Her focus was always on her studies as she had never expected such activities to take place early in her life. Shaurya leaned in, undoing Anokhi's seat belt as she sat frozen. He placed his arms around her, lifting her from the seat. As Shaurya carried her inside, Anokhi rested her head on his chest, her hands enveloping his shoulders. She was nervous about what the future held in store. Sure, she had kissed Shaurya, but what happened afterwards? She had always been a good student, prepared for all her exams. What if she failed this one? What if she messed up? Ughh.

As Shaurya climbed up the stairs silently, the duo locked eyes. Anokhi's nervousness could be felt by Shaurya, her sweaty hands leaving a stain on his shirt. She tucked her face in his chest, shying away.

Turning the bedroom light on with his forearm, Shaurya placed Anokhi on his bed. She looked up at his appealing figure, her eyes scanning him up and down. A part of her desired him, but a part was terrified. This decision would be irreversible.

Shaking her insecurities away, she stood up, walking towards Shaurya. Tiptoeing, she cupped his face and whispered into his ear. "Aap meri madad karenge? I don't umm...know...kya..." Her warm breath gave him chills. No matter how many times Anokhi had caressed his face in the past, her touch always felt new and special. After all, his Anokhi was the most unique and special.

Shaurya leaned in, whispering into Anokhi's ear, "I'll teach you. After all, professor kaun hai yahaan?"

__________________________________________________________________

Keep reading. Keep smiling. Life is short :)