Chapter 17: Turbulences

Note: Characters' inner monologues are in italics.

__________________________________________________________________

Anokhi stood, watching Shaurya as he sorted through his files. He had said she could come in, but he wasn't even looking at her. Clearing her throat, she began to speak.

"Shaurya, I just came by to tell you not to wait for me. I have a study group with my friends. I think they'll drop me home." Kusum had just messaged her about studying together so she would now be joining Akhil's study group tonight.

Shaurya looked up, his brown eyes scanning Anokhi from bottom to top. Meeting her eyes, he froze, not wanting to respond. Her friends? No, friend. Singular. That boy. Ugh. Why was she lying? Shaurya, you're just a toy to her, aren't you?

Anokhi's soul shifted upon witnessing Shaurya's piercing gaze. She moved back, and started mumbling. For some reason, Shaurya's stare affected her, and this time, not romantically.

"Main woh.. I'll see you at home."

Walking out abruptly, Anokhi contemplated what had just taken place. She wasn't one to fall prey to cold stares, but her heart wasn't in the right place anymore. Breathing heavily to release her inner stress, she walked to the library only to witness Akhil waiting for her with her favorite chocolate. Munch.

"Nikki, tujhe bohot pasand tha na Munch? Maine socha studying se pehle kuch meetha ho jaye. Don't worry Kusum ke liye bhi hai, mere bag mein. Tu ye kha lena bejijak."

Stuffing the delicious sweet-treat in her mouth, Anokhi smiled, chocolate staining the corners of her lips, leaving Akhil mesmerized.

He had missed her. She was one special girl to him. The girl who had offered her lunch to him when his was stolen by the class bully Amira. The girl who had stayed up late multiple times, studying his subjects, only to help him with his homework. The girl he would die for. Anokhi. Even saying her name in his head brought a smile to his face.

As she stood in front of him, the gentle breeze blew over her bangs across her face. Her hands being preoccupied with her chocolate disaster, Akhil reached his hand forward to tuck her locks behind her ear. A sharp voice interrupted the moment.

"Ms. Bhalla? Mujhe aapse kuch baat karni hai."

Anokhi's eyes widened as she turned to the side, her crushed chocolate wrapper falling on the floor. Shaurya. He wanted to talk to her. Why? Hadn't he had enough of a chance back in the cabin? Frowning, she spoke to Akhil. "Akhil, my professor is calling me. Tum andar jaao. I'll come in five minutes. Thanks for the Munch."

Sighing, she walked towards a jealous Shaurya. "Yeah? Kya hua?"

Shaurya stood tall, his hands placed in his pockets, his eyes resting on Anokhi's. "Woh kya hai na Ms. Bhalla, I'm going home now. Just wanted to let you know that I'm leaving." Shaurya's insecurities were on the verge of revealing themselves. He fidgeted, as he continued to stand there, with nothing more to say. He was plainly disappointed that Anokhi was choosing someone else over him. He hadn't expected her to take her words seriously regarding no commitment.

Anokhi stood still as she noticed Shaurya. His tone was different. Cold and flat. She could sense disappointment in his words, Was that what it was? But why? What had she done? She found it best to clarify. She didn't like this fight that was lingering in between them.

"Yeah that's all okay. But what's going on? Are you good? Are we good?"

Shaurya nodded, still not looking at Anokhi. He had no intention of hurting her with his words. After all, she had no memory of their story. All of this silent arguing was pointless.