Chapter 12: Impulses

Anokhi found Aastha lying on the bedroom floor, in an unconscious state. She voiced out to Shaurya, who came running in, anxious from the panic in Anokhi's voice. The sight before him was heart wrenching. Aastha had deserted him for most of his life, but she had supported him in the decision to win back Anokhi. Even Badi Ma hadn't understood his feelings when she should have.

Sighing, Shaurya walked to where Anokhi sat, her endless tears soaking her clothes. He couldn't see her in this condition. He had to do something.

Bending down, Shaurya placed his arms around her, pulling her in for a side hug. She continued to sob as she placed her head on his shoulder.

"Shaurya...Aastha ma'am..." Her voice cracked, hurting Shaurya even deeper. He had to take action right away.

"Anokhi, don't worry, okay? I'll take Aastha ma'am to the hospital immediately. Just stay strong. Agar tum kamzor ho jaogi toh main bhi focus nahi kar paunga." Dialing Shaan before taking Aastha to the hospital, Shaurya hurriedly informed his father of the unfortunate situation. Shaan was already on his way to Kapurthala so he would reach in 1-2 hours.

__________________________________________________________________

"Aap log yahan bahir intezaar kijiye. We'll inform you of how the check-up goes."

The nurse left Anokhi and Shaurya in a helpless state. Anokhi was worried for her beloved Aastha ma'am and Shaurya for his Anokhi. What if her distress put pressure on her memories?

The duo waited on the bench down the hallway, their states depressing. Anokhi's sobbing eventually landed her in a sleep while Shaurya waited for Shaan's arrival. It was so unlike him to have the urge to reunite his parents, even in a subtle way. As he pondered the reason for his change, Shaurya wrapped his jacket around Anokhi. His anxiety regarding the situation dulled after seeing his father walking into the hallway.

"Shaurya.."

Shaan cried, hugging his son tightly in the middle of the hallway, the staff of the hospital members staring at the loud cry. Shaurya stroked his palms across Shaan's back, comforting him. "Dad, sab theek ho jayega. I know the doctors are trying their best to identify the problem. Zaroor aapki biwi ne kuch theek se khaya nahi hoga, tabhi behosh ho gayi."

Shaan nodded his head no as he kept his arms wrapped around Shaurya, leaving little to no breathing space. Only he knew the real reason behind Aastha's condition. Aditi.

But how could he speak about that matter to Shaurya? One that was kept unmentioned between him and Aastha for the longest time. One that was a root of the trauma engraved in the Sabherwal household. One that had split AaShaan's heart in two.

The father and son waited patiently, as Anokhi curled up on the bench. Shaurya was worried that she would be affected and all the progress he had made would be declared useless. He considered the possibilities of Anokhi's memory never returning.

She wouldn't look at him now with the same admiration, love and desire that she used to. Even her love for him would be different. Shaurya found their love a result of their experiences together, like Aastha's disappearance. How he had realized her importance in his life. How she had discovered his contribution in rescuing her from the riots. How they had opened up regarding their insecurities. Their equation had changed on that bridge. And now Anokhi had no memory of that.

Shaurya continued to contemplate the consequences of Aastha's condition on Anokhi's health. If Anokhi lost their memories forever, their story just wouldn't be the same. Sure, life could provide another turning point to reignite their past love, but he didn't see much scope for it. Anokhi had friendzoned him, and now he had to stay away from her out of respect and responsibility. Her choice. He couldn't force her to love him. Now that would be wrong on so many levels.

So lost in his thoughts. Shaurya failed to see that Anokhi had awoken. She was now staring at Shaan, who stood in the hallway, staring at the wall next to Aastha's room.

What if she asked about Shaan? What would he say? That Shaan was his father? Maybe that wouldn't be so bad. But what if she recognized Shaan's face and imposed stress on herself?

"Anokhi? Are you feeling better?" Placing his hand on her shoulder he continued speaking. "Aastha ma'am will be okay. Tension mat lena. I'll just come." He walked away to talk to Shaan.

"Dad? Anokhi ko bohot takleef ho sakta hai if you come in front of her. I don't know what to do. Mujhe kuch samaj mein nahi aa raha. Aapki biwi ko aapki zaroorat hai. Aur Anokhi ko meri. I'll take her home. Kaafi raat ho gayi hai." He turned to look at Anokhi who was following the conversation from afar. "Aap please call kijiye mujhe agar kuch news mile. Take care of yourself Dad."

Shaurya walked up to Anokhi, in an attempt to talk her into going back home. He informed her that Aastha was not critical as the nurse had informed them earlier, and his father was here to look after her. Anokhi gave in. Her head was starting to hurt. Shaurya led Anokhi to his car below what was now a thundering sky. The darkened clouds were synonyms to the upcoming thunderstorm.

Anokhi sat in the front as Shaurya started the car. They left the hospital, soon approaching the stranded road which they had passed on foot a few hours earlier.

Anokhi was now wide awake. Her sleep had restored her energy so now she was feeling refreshed. Her eyes were surely on the road, but her mind was elsewhere. She was sure she had seen Shaurya's father before. The man at the hospital looked familiar. She wanted to ask Shaurya questions but refrained, deeming it a useless topic. Anyways, things were not very sorted between them. Friends. She had said they could be just friends.

Looking outside the car window, Anokhi followed the slow rain droplets which adorned the glass. The rainy weather was invoking the urge to romance Shaurya within her. Ugh. She regretted her decision of taking it slow. Trying to keep herself in control, Anokhi turned on the radio. Shaurya took his eyes off the road to observe Anokhi's actions. He had been thinking about keeping Anokhi's health in check. That was his priority.

"Ye baarish ka paani ek qaafir ko bhi dharmik bana deta hai. Toh pyaar karne walon ka kya haal karega? Aayiye sunte hai ek bohot hi romantic gana. This one's for the passionate couples in the city. Only on Radio Fire." Anokhi swallowed. Romantic is exactly what she didn't want. She glanced at Shaurya, who was not even in the mood to concentrate on the radio jockey's words.

"Labon ko labon pe sajao. Kya ho tum mujhe ab batao."

The lyrics were a manifestation of her heart's current state. Her desire to taste Shaurya rose, her hands itchy to grab him.

The brakes screeched as Shaurya slammed them, avoiding a full fledged accident on the rainy road. Anokhi's hand moved up to grab Shaurya's thigh subconsciously, her fingers lightly stroking his pants. The touch was much more than friendship. Oh no.

Shaurya's eyes left the road and focused on Anokhi's hand on his leg. Thinking quickly, he pulled the car to the side on the less-populated road covered in rain droplets.

Anokhi's brown eyes were expressing her lust for Shaurya, her lips awaiting his arrival. He scanned her face, admiring her beauty concealed under the dull lights.

It was high time they finished where they left off a few hours back. Shaurya had known it was impossible for them to stay off of each other. The magnetic pull was hella strong.

"Fuck the friendship." Unbuckling his seat belt, he leaned over to undo her belt, his gaze fixed on her lips. He could not resist her if she was initiating the intimacy.

He picked her up and placed her on his lap, her arms grabbing a hold of his broad shoulders. The wetness around them was nothing compared to the sweat erupting in the car. The sexual tension could be cut by a knife.

Anokhi cupped Shaurya's face, her lips eager to claim his. She leaned in, biting his lower lip softly as she pulled. His moans were an aphrodisiac to her. As she explored, Shaurya's arms encircled her. His fingers rubbed across her bare stomach as he pushed her kurti upwards, revealing her navel. Caressing her belly with his thumbs, Shaurya felt Anokhi's lips moan, giving him more pleasure. Her smooth skin against his hands was a whole different feeling. He wanted to kiss her there. But should he? Would Anokhi be okay with that?

__________________________________________________________________

To know Shaurya's next step, keep reading Love at Second Sight: A ShaKhi Romance!

Thank you, and stay safe :)