Chapter 3: Deep in the forest

White Snow ran, past twisty trees and scratchy brambles. Soon, his black hair was tangled with leaves.

He ran until the sun sank and the forest grew dark.

Thorny branches like witches' fingers reached out to catch him Still he ran until his legs could barely hold him...

...and then he saw a cottage.
"Maybe someone here can help me, he thought.

To his dismay, there was no one home. He leaned against the door to catch his breath and it swung open. White Snow stumbled inside.

The first thing he saw a tiny chairs. White Snow smelled fresh bread and honey and his mouth watered.

After running all day, he was starving. Sitting down, he helped himself to bread and honey and drank every drop of milk from all seven mugs.

He put down the last mug and yawned. Running all day was exhausting.

Seven tiny beds with fat pillows stood along one wall.

White Snow tried bed after bed. The first was too hard, the second too narrow... By the seventh, he was so tired, he curled up on it anyway.

While slept, the cottage door opened and seven dwarfs trooped in. They each lit a candle and looked around in surprise.
"Who's been in our cottage?" cried the first one.
"Who's been sitting on my chair?" cried the second one.
"Who drank my milk?" cried the third one.
"Who ate my bread?" cried the fourth one.
"Who ate my honey?" cried the fifth one.
"Who tried my bed?" cried the sixth one.
"Who's on my bed?" cried the seventh one.

Quietly, they gathered around and watched him sleeping.

"His hair's as black as ebony, skin's as white as snow, and his eyes are as red as blood. He's handsome." They all sighed together.

Next morning, was woken by seven songs sung very badly. He jumped out of bed in a panic—but the dwarfs were so friendly, he forgot to be afraid.

When he told them about the King, the dwarfs were disgusted. "Stay here," they said. "We'll take care of you."