Chapter 6: A princess rides by

"Not again!" groaned a dwarf, when she saw sprawled on the floor. But this time, they couldn't help him:
"No scarf."
"No Comb. He's dead.

"He's handsome," sobbed the youngest dwarf. "We can't bury him." So they laid him in a glass coffin and wrote the Prince White Snow with a picture upon it.

They placed the coffin on a nearby hill and took turns keeping watch.

White Snow had been there for over a year when a princess rode by. She saw his skin as white as snow, his eyes as red as blood and his hair as black as ebony, and she fell in love.

Leaping from her elephant, she knelt by the coffin. "He's handsome," she said to the dwarf guarding him. "Please let me take him to my palace."

"What? No!" cried the dwarf.

"I want to build a splendid tomb for him," said the princess. "A prince belongs in a palace."

The dwarfs argued with the princess all day, but by sunset, they agreed. Almost at once, she was back with servants to carry the coffin.

As they lifted it, one tripped. The coffin slipped and the apple flew from White Snow's mouth. To their astonishment, he opened his eyes.

The princess was overjoyed. She flung open the coffin, swept him up and carried him to her elephant.
"Where am I?" asked White Snow. "Who are you?"
"I'm a princess who wants to marry you!

Meanwhile, the King was going back to his mirror.

"White Snow is fairest. Ask me another," said the mirror saucily before he could speak.

With a furious cry, the King smashed his mirror into a thousand pieces. And a thousand glass splinters chorused, "White Snow is still the fairest of them all."

—The End—