chapter five.. challenge accepted

I walked into my apartment about to pass out from exhaustion. Being up since 4 am was not the move and I knew it would catch up to me eventually. Thankfully though interns swap out every other day so even though I do 12 hour days I only have to do it Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays.

I shut my apartment door and swiftly turned the lock and placed my keys up onto the hook in the entryway. I know I promised Drew I would come with an appetite tonight, but if I don't eat something soon it'll be bad for everyone in Charleston. I had stopped by the store on the way home and grabbed a 24-pack of Mich Ultras.

I know I mistook what Drew said earlier. I always do that—assume the worst or negative in a situation or a person. He was just being courteous by letting me know he had roommates, which I do appreciate because I would've for sure been caught off guard if I walked into a space with 3 other men I wasn't expecting haha.

Hopefully, the way I awkwardly left this afternoon didn't affect our date? Is it a date? I don't know; I've never been asked out before. The only time someone has paid attention to me is when they wanted to hook up.

I ate a quick snack, then stripped down to a t-shirt and crawled under the covers for a power nap. After I had left work, Drew texted me his apartment number and we agreed on me coming over at 6:30. He even asked me if everything was okay. It was, and I reassured him and promised I would see him at 6:30. I caught myself smiling while I scrolled through the clock app on my phone setting an alarm to get up in a little over an hour. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited.

****

That nap was VERY much needed. I could've kept sleeping for hours if I could. I looked at myself in the mirror assessing the damage my nap had done to my hair and make-up. I raked a comb through my hair, and shook it out a little bit, and touched up my make-up. I didn't want it to look like I tried too hard especially if this wasn't a date or anything.

I kept my outfit casual, choosing an oversized graphic tee and some bike shorts. Of course, I added my gold necklaces and rings as always. I took one more look at myself to make sure I looked okay then headed into the kitchen to gather the beer and wine.

Drew lived a couple of floors below me on the 4th floor, so it was no difficulty slipping down through the stairwell. I stopped at the 4th floor opening and went into the hallway immediately taking a left.

I walked down the corridor looking at the different doormats and wreaths; in no time I reached 405. I paused for a second taking a deep breath and mustering up the courage to lightly place my knuckles against the hard door and knock few times.

Through the door I could hear faint voices and feet shuffling then the locks turning. I was met with Drew, who was not wearing the same thing as he did at work. He traded out his tee for another graphic. This one was a light color with the word 'Chester' across his chest and what seems to be a medieval town. His sweat pants were gone and replaced with a pair of good-fitting wranglers.

"Damn girl, you brought enough alc to feed a village." Drew expressed, taking the box of Ultras out of my arms. "Come on in."

I followed Drew into the apartment and closed his door behind me.

"Well, I also brought this." I reached into my tote and pulled out a big bottle of peach muscadine wine. I placed it on the counter and took my tote off my shoulder.

"We don't have to drink it all." I laughed, "whatever we don't get to you can have!"

"Don't challenge me... because I can finish this case with no problems." He challenged. His hands found the slits in the box and tore it open taking several out and putting them into the fridge, so they could chill.