4: In the Window

Arthit awakes early at the start of a new week. His alarm is blaring at him from across the room and his pleasant dream about swimming in pink milk fades away as he deals with it.

After a quick shower, he heads onto his balcony to hang his towel and chances a quick glance over to see if Kongpob is awake too, and that's when he sees it.

In large letters, on plain white paper, stuck across his neighbour's window, a message.

GOOD MORNING P'ARTHIT. I HOPE YOU SLEPT WELL. HAVE A GOOD DAY!

He blushes as he reads it, remembering the text from the night before, Sleep well, Phi. I look forward to wooing you tomorrow! <3

He ends up having a great day, smirking as he remembers the message on Kongpob's window unbidden. It's a lovely reminder that someone out there thinks he's special. And it's not something Arthit had ever imagined happening to him.

The next morning, he stumbles onto the balcony half asleep, rubbing his eyes of the sleep in them. At first, he has to blink a few times and rub his eyes again to check he's actually seeing what he thinks he's seeing.

In bold letters, P'ARTHIT. YOU HAVE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL SMILE. SMILE MORE! I'M WATCHING!

"Stalker much?" Arthit scoffs as he stares at the words. But secretly, he's pleased that Kongpob noticed him smiling more yesterday

It gives him a warm feeling inside as he starts his day.

Wednesday, he eagerly heads out onto his balcony and is greeted by a new message.

THERE IS NOTHING MORE WONDERFUL THAN SEEING MY PHI. HE MAKES MY DAY BRIGHTER AND MORE FULFILLING. PLEASE MEET ME FOR LUNCH AND MAKE THE SUN SHINE, MY P'OON.

Honestly, Arthit isn't certain how to react, seeing his nickname emblazoned across the window. It gives him butterflies he has to admit, but he's also nervous about how many other students have seen the message.

However, his phone pings while he's staring at it and it's from Kongpob, Go inside, and I'll take it down. Don't worry, all the other curtains are closed on your side. Your secret name is safe with me <3

He smiles to himself and then raises his phone to the window and heads back into his room, silly grin still in place.

At lunchtime, Kongpob finds him in the canteen and sinks into the chair opposite him, startling Bright.

"Oh, Nong. What are you doing here?"

Konpob grins at Arthit, looking at him as he replies, "I came here to warm up."

"Huh?" Arthit hears Bright say to Tootah, "I don't get it! It's like 35 degrees out here, how much warmer does he want to be?"

Arthit's ducks his head and then stretches one foot forward so that his calf is resting against Kongpob's under the table.

His junior gives him a wide smile as they calmly eat their lunch.

Thursday dawns, and Arthit is ready for his message. He steps out and stares at it in surprise.

OPEN YOUR DOOR!

That's it. No poetic lines of invitation. No polite Please or Phi.

So, he steps over to his apartment door, heart thudding, to find Kongpob waiting outside, a bag of food dangling from his hand.

"Good morning Phi, may we share breakfast?"

"Kongpob!" He gasps. "Go take down your message."

"After, Phi. I need my sunshine this morning, I have a test later on." His face scrunches cutely and Arthit can't resist.

"Okay, you have fifteen minutes, get in!"

At uni that day, he hears many people talking about the strange message they had seen on one of the dorm windows.

"It said, Open your door," Bright says, face a puzzle, "So I did and there was nothing there! I don't get it!"

"Maybe it wasn't for you," Arthit says smugly, finding Kongpob's eyes across the canteen and smiling.