6: How Arthit Woos Kongpob

Arthit has been musing over giving Kongpob his gear for the past few weeks.

Not much has changed since he and Kongpob started dating. Sure, they've held hands in his room (twice) and Kongpob has encouraged Arthit to rest his head on his shoulder when they were in the dark cinema (once), but Arthit hasn't worked up the courage for anything more yet.

Tonight, he might make a plan and actually stick to it for once.. he might.

Back at his room, he quickly makes a list of the ways Kong had wooed him.

1.Poem
2.Flashmob
3.Pink Milk
4.Window writing
5.The Gear

And then makes notes next to them

1.Poem (my writing is terrible, it would read like a shopping list!)
2.Flashmob (Can't dance, won't dance!)
3.Pink Milk (He doesn't like it and I can't give him that much coffee, he'd be a jittery wreck)
4.Window writing (I could try this but what if someone saw?)
5.The Gear (Not in public! No way!)

Then he spends a few minutes thinking about what he is actually good at.

I can haze people, loudly.
I can build robots.
I am a good friend.
I can run around the track a lot.
I can play the guitar and sing a little.

As he reads his list, he realises that most of it is useless, except, maybe the last one could actually work as an idea?

He spends the rest of the night coming up with a plan.

Kongpob, please will you meet me tonight?

Arthit's nervous, of course. He's only managed to practise twice before he had to run up to the roof and set everything up.

But as he holds his guitar, he feels a buzz run through his body and he knows that whatever happens, Kongpob will be kind.

He's seated himself on the ledge, overlooking the small market behind his building which is lit with fairy lights and vibrant neon signs. It's pretty and there's a passing thought about why he's never been up here at night before.

But then Kongpob slides onto the roof and Arthit forgets almost everything, except the lyrics in his head and the gear, heavy in his pocket.

"P'Arthit?" Kongpob asks and Arthit sees the puzzled glance between his face and the guitar in his lap.

Arthit gives him a nervous smile "Kongpob, can you come here?"

His boyfriend does, immediately, and Arthit gestures him to the seat in front of him, heart thudding as he prepares.

Then his fingers find the strings and he strums softly as Kongpob leans forward slightly, excitement on his face.

Arthit has to look away from him in case he loses track of his thoughts, but then he's reached the first lyric and he launches into his song that he had hurriedly scribbled on the back page of an old Manga.

Kong, you are the one,
The one who brings the light into my life,
Strong and wonderful,
You ease away my troubles and my strife.

And I know that I, am difficult,
That I've caused you pain before,
But I've realised that we're meant to be
And my heart wants to battle for yours.

Please be mine, please be mine,
Say you'll stay with me all the time,

Be by my side, be my one,
I want you there for both, the bad times and the fun,

Say you'll stay with me forever, be my one.

As he finishes, Kongpob stands from his chair, but Arthit holds out his hand and asks him to stay seated, which he does.

Then Arthit slips his guitar on the floor and reaches into his pocket.

"I wanted to.. I wanted to make this special, Kongpob."

"And you have! I feel properly wooed P'Arthit!"

"Good, because.. I want to give you one thing."

Then Arthit holds out his hand and dangles his gear in front of Kongpob.

"Kongpob, I feel like we have something special, something real.. and I want you to know that I'm serious about it, about you. Please will you accept my gear?"

Instead of taking it, Kongpob rises from his chair and crashes into Arthit, arms wrapping around his waist and face buried in his shoulder.

"Yes!" He says, words muffled against Arthit's chest.

When he draws back, he repeats himself, "Thank you so much for the song, it was perfect, Phi! And I will treasure your gear forever."

Then he angles his head and raises his eyebrows, eyes shining with fun and Arthit, even though his stomach is in a tangle of knots, recognises that cue.

He leans in and meets Kongpob half way in their first, perfect kiss.

As they draw back, Kongpob smiles genuinely and then wraps his arms around Arthit's waist again. "Please will you play me my song again?"

"No! I won't. Once was enough."

"But P'Arthit... I wooed you five times."

"Yes, and clearly we know who's the easiest to woo, I only had to do it once!"

"But P'Arthit..."

"I said no, not now.. maybe another time?"

The end.