seventeen : another pretend

soo pov:
i told suji that I was at the convenience store but tbh, i was actually heading home. already told you, i don't wanna talk to anyone today, im busy thinking about what my dad said...

"when the boy was born, he was given up for adoption..." i muttered.

'i have a brother?'

i was near our house when i saw... suji.

"soo..." she said.

"uhm- hey, suji... what's up?" i asked.

"you said you're at the convenience store..." she said.

"i- i was, i just-" she cut through my words.

"liar... soo, we're bestfriends! we keep no secrets..." she said as she started to tear up.

"suji, its not a big deal." i responded.

"soo, it IS a big deal! my parents are always busy in work, i don't have any cousin, any siblings, or any close friends than you and ashley... i treat you and ashley like my sisters, since ashley is away... i don't want you to build a wall between us. soo, please... tell me what's going on..." she said as more tears flow down her cheek.

i sighed and hugged her... "i'm sorry, suji... i was just really off the weather..." (insert suji sniffing) i said. "let's talk this out..." i said as we went inside my house.

we went to my room as i told her every thing that happened yesterday.

"you have a brother?" she asked.

"based on what dad said... yea." i responded.

"so... does this mean he was left on canada?" she again asked.

"prolly... but he's maybe in a diff country or what. i wanna find him though..." i said.

"i wonder his name." suji said.

"i do too..." i said.

we suddenly heard a phone ring...

"uhm... u gonna pick that up?" i asked.

she took her phone, "nope, ain't mine." she said as i checked my phone.

"it's dad..." i said as i picked it up.

"soo... she's awake." he said.

i couldn't describe if he was sad, scared or happy. his voice was a little shaky so it made me nervous...

"i'm coming... w-wait for me." i said as i hung up.

"what's up?" she asked.

"mom's awake..." i said.

"can i come?" she asked.

"sure, but won't your parents get mad? it quite getting late already." i responded.

"oh... right." she said as she stood up. "i think i'ma head home" she continued.

"oki" i took my bag as we head outside the house.

"cya tomorrow, soo~" she said.

"bye~" i said as we parted ways.

time skip...
i arrived at the hospital and saw mom sitting up on the bed with dad on the couch.

"hey, mom... how are you feeling?" i said as i held her hand.

"excuse me? who are you?" she said.

i left go of her hand as i froze- i looked at dad who looked devastated.

"d-dad?" i said.

he stood up, "follow me" he said as he exited the room.

i followed him outside, he was sitting on the waiting chairs, i sat beside him as we locked eyes.

"w-what just happened earlier?-" i asked.

"she hit her head too hard that... she had amnesia..." dad replied.

"amnesia?-" i said in disbelief.

"soo, this is great... w-we could start anew, i'll break up with my fiance and let's live normal..." he said.

"you what? you're gonna lie to mom? what if her memory comes back?" i asked.

"let's not think of that now, but the thought of us coming back as a happy family, this is what you wanted right?" dad said.

i sighed, "in... one condition." i stated bluntly.

"yes?" he asked.

"i want to see my brother." i said.

"s-soo-" i cut through his words.

"i want so see my brother." i stubbornly repeated.

i know that was a bratty thing to say but, can't you see? i'm desperate to meet my brother...

"i-i'll try." he said.

for the first time in a while, i felt like my trust on my dad came back. this lead me to hug him.

"thank you dad..." i said.

he hugged me back and stayed silent. i know he was crying, my shoulders felt wet. after a few while, he broke the hug and decided to explain everything to mom.

"hyejin, this is your daughter... her name is min soonri. and you're married to me, my name is min donghan." dad said.

"min soonri, min donghan?" mom asked as i nodded happily.

"and... my name is hyejin?" she asked as i again nodded.

"then... why am i here?" mom asked.

"well, we were on a road trip and you were driving cause dad was exhausted driving all night so... you drove but... w-we had a car accident." i lied.

"oh- is everything my fault? i-im sorry-" mom said.

"n-no, it was partially my fault... i let you drove when you were also tired." dad said.

mom smiled and held my hand while she also took dad's hand. dad and i both looked at mom confused.

"what?" she chuckled. "i just felt like holding my family's hands" she said as she smiled.

both me and dad looked at each other as i sighed.

'we'll be a happy family again... and now, i assure we will.'

• • •