18. The Great Get-together

~Zinhle Mpumelelo~

"So? Do we have a plan?"

I nodded. "Yup!"

"Perfect," he gave me a peck on the lips, "I'm going to call my mother."

"I'll call Mam'Ilungelo," Nolwazi stated.

"And I'll call my dad," I sighed.

I took out my phone and walked to the balcony. I took a deep breath as I dialled my father's number.

"Hello?"

"Sawubona baba, ki Zinhle," I greeted.

"Ah my kind," he exclaimed, "How are you?"

"I'm alright baba. How are you?"

"I am well thanks."

"Soo... dad, Leon, Nolwazi and I planned a family get-together and we want you to be there," I explained.

I heard my father sigh, "You're still with him?"

"Of course! In fact he told me, that was his brother Ryan."

"And you believe him?"

"Of course!"

"Wow," he scoffed.

"Dad? What's going on? Since when are you so involved in my love life? All you care about is, will he take of me? Is he financially stable? Does he have respect? Will he pay lobola? And that's it! Why are you so onto him?"

"Because I don't trust him. And you shouldn't either-"

"Baba... I trust him with my life. I love him with all my heart. Please... baba ngiyacela, give him a chance. Come to the get-together."

"Give me a time and place, I will be there," he sighed.

"Ok," I smiled, "Thank you. I'll send it to you just now ok?"

"Sure."

"I love you dad."

"Love you Zee."

I smiled as he hung up. I let out a sigh before I returned inside.

"So? What did he say?" I heard Leon ask.

"He said he'd be there," I stated.

"Good."

"So what exactly are we doing?" I heard my sister ask.

"We are going to the park, we'll braai, bring other food and cool drink and just get to know each other," I explained.

"Who's idea was this?"

"Mine," Leon stated. "Zee and I are getting pretty serious and its important that our families get along and are in support of our relationship, you know? So we're doing this as to give our families the opportunity to get into contact with each other."

"So you two are... taking things to the next step?" Nolwazi asked, her voice sounding... strange.

"Yeah, we are," Leon stated warmly.

I heard my sister clear her throat, "Ok."

She left and Leon and I remained.

"So? We need to talk about the food," I sighed sitting on the couch.

"I was thinking of braaing boerewors, burger patty and chicken. We'll buy the rolls, tomato sauce, mayo and mustard and we can make some salad," he suggested sitting next to me.