Chapter 4

Summer's Over

"The summer's over and we're watchin' the sun finally set, seems like forever now, but forever's here" -Partynextdoor: East Liberty

The morning after a wild party we threw for her birthday in a penthouse somewhere deep down in the city...

I was abruptly dragged out of dreamland to a rude awakening, "The Ride" playing loud in the lounge.

Everyone had gone except for her and myself.

With skittles rattling around in the transparent hoover. Instead of waking up to a hangover breakfast... Plantain, scrambled eggs, fish fingers or beef sausages.

She was standing there with those semi-thick brown legs looking like Louis Vuitton's Monogram without the logos, just aggressively pushing the hoover back and forth in purple la pearls French draws, flat stomached in a crop top t-shirt. Van Cleef & Arpels and Cartier Love bracelets clinging and clanging together on the same wrist.

I knew there was a problem cos we had cleaners booked to come through around 12 in the afternoon and it was only 10am.

Just the two of us, some random knickers from strip poker, spin the bottle and other the shenanigans from last night lying around. Half-empty champagne and vodka bottles vertical and horizontally shattered around. Styrofoam cups and cake smudged paper plates everywhere.

With tension in the air, I kept my distance, and my brain wasn't activated enough yet to try and figure out what I might have done wrong yet. But I just assumed I might have crossed a line or two last night.

Clearly still dizzy and blinded by the bright sunlight cutting through the blinds. I snatched Veronica's big ass Mary J. Blige' not gon cry' sunglasses off the coffee table and chucked them on. Pulled the fridge open and grabbed a fresh bottle of Dom P my boy probably bought on dodgy cards.

I contemplated shaking the cold bottle of champagne and popping it all over her and play fighting about it, as well as whatever her initial problem was, then slipping my dick in her.

She's been upset before, no relationship is perfect, but there was something so cold and different going on here. She hadn't even looked me in the eyes yet.

I kept my eyes on her as she was hoovering and I peeled the foil, untwisted the coil with my thumb on the cork and let the pressure out with ease. Tilted the red plastic cup that I hate so much cos it makes me fight dribbling with every sip. I let the form reach the brim before I reached for some orange juice to chase it seen as that looked like it was gonna be my only hangover remedy.

I popped two THC gummy bears from a big ziplock on the kitchen counter and dropped another two in my drink, took a sip, wiped my dribble with the back of hand and lit and cigarette.

Standing in my White Calvin Kline boxer shorts, semi-erect with morning glory, a white tank top, and Gucci slides, hiding behind her oversized shades by the sliding glass door in the lounge speaking through a mouth full of smoke. I asked if she was gonna tell me what was wrong. She paused and then looked at me with her beautiful brown eyes flooded in a small river of tears and said...