you don't always get a happy ending

The two stared at each other for a while, both clearly in shock, "I'm sorry, I-" Diluc started.

"No, don't apologize. Thank you, Diluc."

"Anytime. Meet me back here tomorrow night, maybe we could do this again?" Diluc asked. "Maybe you could try another favorite of mine, apple cider."

The Abyss Mage blushed, "I'd love to."

"See you then."

"See you then Diluc," He paused. "I love you."

༻✧༺

Diluc woke the next day, he is going on his date with the Abyss Mage tonight. He should prepare. Wait, what? It hit him, what were people going to think when someone as popular as him was exposed for dating an Abyss Mage? He would surely be the first to do so, he just had to keep it a secret. Hopefully it wouldn't be hard. 

He prepared a table and placed a tablecloth over it. He told everyone at the winery to take a break today, then he had the place to himself. He placed a vase on the table in centered it, then he set out to get some flowers to put in them. He thought that it'd look lazy if he used some flowers that were right outside the winery, he wanted to try his best. He made his way to Mondstadt, he spoke to Flora and bought some roses. Donna tried to start a conversation with him, it was obvious she was nervous when speaking to him. 

"Oh, um- Hi, uh, Diluc! Ha, what brings you here? Hahaha." 

"Just picking up some flowers. Have a good day."

"Oh! Lovely! I'll see you, uh- later Diluc!"

Diluc frowned as he walked away from her, "I wonder what she'd think about the man she has a crush on dating an Abyss Mage." 

He bought a basket treats from Marjorie and planned to give him bottles of grape juice too. He looked up at the sky, it looked so peaceful today. It was the perfect weather out, the people of Mondstadt were happy and cheerful, and Diluc had a date. 

He decided to spare some time by having some food at Good Hunter, he ordered ingredients to-go to make a cake. He payed for his food and purchase, then sat up and got ready to head back to the winery. He heard commotion coming from the front gates.

"I can't believe it."

"They're getting closer and closer now.."

"I'm not letting my child go out anymore, it's becoming more and more unsafe everyday."

Diluc walked up to the gates, people were crowded around knights who seemed to be fighting back a creature. "What's going on?" Diluc asked a woman standing by.

"An Abyss Mage attacked someone right outside of Mondstadt! Can you believe this? We can barely be safe just leaving the town now, what a mess!" She yelled.

Diluc pushed through the crowd of people, hoping that it wouldn't be him, it wouldn't be the Abyss Mage. He reached a point where he was in front of everyone in the crowd. He couldn't believe it. The knights were fighting the Abyss Mage, what he feared the most has now come true. Why would he attack someone? He thought he could trust him.

The mage began fighting back less and less, he noticed Diluc and stopped completely. "Diluc?"

"What were you thinking? I trusted you." Diluc looked down angrily at the creature. "Turns out you weren't different after all."

The knights delivered the final, fatal, blow to the creature with his sword. Hurt and betrayed, Diluc went back to the winery alone. He felt like an idiot. He felt like the dumbest man in Teyvat for trusting the creature. He should have known, he was crazy. He just wanted to forget, to never think of it again. 

What Diluc didn't know was that someone had attacked the Abyss Mage, he fought back because he still had business to take care of. He couldn't not show up, it was what he wanted all along. He didn't want to hurt Diluc. The attacker played the victim, and if it couldn't get worse, Diluc showed up and got the wrong impression. He would never know what really happened, the true story, why he would be alone tonight.

That night, he ate the cake he made at the table, and the treats, and he drank the apple cider alone. He would never know that the meal would've been with two.