Chapter 10

--------------------> WALKING IN ABANDONED CORRIDORS WITH TOM felt just as awkward as it had been the last academic year

--------------------> WALKING IN ABANDONED CORRIDORS WITH TOM felt just as awkward as it had been the last academic year. The initial silence prolonged into an endless ocean. That familiar urge to cause a commotion to put noise between them resonated in her bones. Artemis regretted that everyone was either celebrating or grumbling regarding the Quidditch match or even enjoying a pleasant weekend outside, leaving only them—and maybe, ghosts—to explore the hallways.

Artemis couldn't take it any longer. After a quick debate on whether to initiate a conversation or throw herself onto the wall like a fly on a window and realising that the Professors wouldn't appreciate blood on the walls, Artemis blurted out: "Capital letter of 'G' sort of looks like a circled arrow doesn't it?"

Tom hummed in consideration. "I suppose."

Not wanting them to spiral into silence again, Artemis raked her mind for openings for conversations, really regretting that she hadn't created a list of them last year. "So...The Quidditch match—!"

"Very thrilling."

"And the weather, right?"

"Very pleasant."

"And, um, life? How has it been?"

"The loveliest, ever since I met you."

Artemis huffed out a fond smile and looked at him through the corner of her vision. Van Gough couldn't have painted the stars she saw in Tom's eyes. "That's wonderful of you to say, but you've got to give me answers that can push the conversation forward, my muse."

"You're going to regret saying that," chimed Tom, and what he said next actually made her regret saying that: "Are you visiting the girl who passed away every day because you feel guilty you're alive and she isn't?" He questioned bluntly, the only way Artemis wouldn't be able to deflect, wave away or change the topic.

Sure enough, Artemis stilled. Her face paled.

"It's not your fault," said Tom, taking her limp hands in his. "I know it sounds like something everyone would say but it really isn't. You're not responsible for what happened. It's the culprit—Hagrid—who has thankfully been expelled. He isn't here anymore. You're safe, everyone is. And Artemis—you look awful."

"My, you're a charmer."

"When was the last time you properly slept?" Tom asked, ignoring her interjection. "When was the last time you stayed in a place without rushing somewhere else? What happened to the girl is a tragedy, yes, but you can't waste your life away. You need help."

Artemis' features smoothened, her eyes guarded. "I'm handling it," she gritted out.

"Not as well as you think you are. I'm here for you, but you need to open up."

"Shut up, Tom."

"Don't feel guilty for things that aren't your fault," continued Tom anyway, his voice sharp.