Birthday

"Augustus!"

"Augie, where are you?"

"Come out please! We're sorry! We won't pinch your cheeks anymore!"

"Dearest!"

I was sitting on the branch of a tree, with the leaves as my cover. My cheeks felt painful and sore from all the chewing and pinching. After finishing breakfast, I had to stand for 2 more hours  to try on new clothing. Honestly, my life as a poor commoner in my original world was better than this routine. Hopefully, they will give up soon and let me rest in peace.

I leaned my head against the trunk and breathed in the rich air, about to fall asleep. The warm sunlight shone on my face, and the world felt still and quiet. I couldn't even hear the calls from my parents...wait. Something's wrong, there's no way they would stop unless...

"Boo."

I yelped and fell down the branch, right into the waiting arms of Nicholas Gawain. Yes, the only person that could convince my parents to give up on searching me is this black haired youth right here. The eldest son of the knowledgable Gawain family, with a silver tongue. He is my first and only friend so far, and the one I need to convince that I am harmless. Because of his intuitive mind, as long as he is convinced that I am utterly weak and innocent, the other families will assume so too.

"Good morning, Nicky," I muttered drowsily, hooking my arms around his neck like a koala. Even though he was only one year older than me, he could still easily support my weight. According to him, I weighed less than a feather even though I have so much baby fat. I had already developed the habit of sleeping in his arms because he was the softest, and he always makes sure to walk steadily.

"Augustus, climbing onto trees are dangerous. You would've died if I didn't catch you."

"You would always catch me," I hummed stubbornly.

"Come on, wake up. I have someone I want to introduce you to."

"No, just a few more minutes. Please? You're the best, Nicky." I desperately hanged onto him with closed eyes. Even if he wanted to put me down, he couldn't.

"Ha, fine, you win. Just a few minutes," He mumbled reluctantly.

I let my head loll against his shoulder and relaxed my tight hold around his neck. Don't be fooled though, I wasn't actually sleeping. Who would want to sleep after nearly dying? I just wanted to eavesdrop on him.

"Do you need me to carry him?" A foreign, deep voice sounded to my right.

Nicholas's chest vibrated a bit as he answered:"No need."

"So this is the heir of the Bediveres?"

"Yes."

"Well? What's your take on him?"

"None of your business."

The voice huffed. "Just tell me. If he's harmless, I won't touch a single hair on his head."

"Why should I believe you?"

"I swear it on the name of Lucan."

"...He's harmless. Even though his powers are adequate enough, his body is strangely underdeveloped, and he couldn't even hold a wooden sword for more than two seconds. Most importantly, his personality is too naive and trusting. He can be manipulated easily in the future."

The corners of my lips twitched as I tried not to smile. He fell for it! My hard work these days had not gone to waste. His confirmation means my life will be smooth from now on! Goodbye pesky nobles and annoying politics! Adios!