Argument

"Mother, father, what happened to Rian?"

The two paused, and mother's hands began to tremble as I finally voiced out my question after a few days of recovery. Just because I didn't ask didn't mean I let it go those past days. I had sneaked around the manor, eavesdropped on conversations while pretending to sleep, and tried to find him with my power. But it was like he disappeared. The maids never mentioned him, and my parents just chatter about events outside the mansion when I try to bring it up. This frank approach is my last try before I attempt to blow up the residence and threaten everyone with a knife to their throats. Ah, those soft cheeks, those cute dimples. I would do anything for him! My cute, lovely, amazing little brother!

Mother's face was pale now. I hate the fact that I had to bring up something that would cause her pain, but I must know. Father's face was changing colors quickly. Red to white, and then a bit green. It would be hilarious if he didn't look like he might vomit all over me. Father's health was a bit bad these days. It has no impact on his life, and he'll be better after a few days. He's just weak from the power loss. Because Rian's power was too strong, and my power was reacting to his, he had to expend all his magic to save me from death.

To think I almost died from looking at Rian. It's unexpected, and frankly, sad. Augustus...must have hated him. I could be brave and care for Rian after the whole ordeal because I've read the book and is much older than I look, but could he? A child who was raised and loved like a precious gem his entire life. Would he be able to accept the fact that his father loved another person and even had a child, a brother who almost killed him? He must have been traumatized from the whole ordeal, and with the parents and maids constantly telling him that Rian's a monster to soothe him, he gradually believed that it was true.

"Erm, son, why are you asking about this?"

"Baby, don't worry, he's gone now. He won't harm you anymore."

"Y-yeah, you're safe here."

My parents skirted around the topic, thinking that I was still scared. But I wasn't. For god's sake! I just want to hold my little brother!

"Mother, father! I want to see my brother!" I shouted, finally losing my temper. "I'm not afraid of Rian!"

"No! Augustus, absolutely not! Did you forget how much harm you received from him? I won't let him harm you again!" Mother shrieked, completely losing her reason as Rian's name was mentioned.

My shoulders started to tremble as tears flooded my eyes. "Then, at least tell me, is he alright? Where is he now?"

"He's at the church right now. They are still deciding on his fate." Father replied in an unnatural voice.

"What fate? Isn't he our family's child?"

"But he's a dark magician and a dangerous existence. The church has the right to decide whether to put him in confinement forever, or...erase him from this world." My tears welled up again. "B-but father! You're a high ranking priest! Can't you do something?"

"Darling," Mother patted my back as I hiccuped. "We are the family of Light and shoulders the responsibility to protect the people. And Rian is a threat. Not only to the people, but also to you."

"But mother! He's just a child! Surely we can teach him how to control his powers!"

"No," Father interjected. "You experienced it for yourself, son. Normal dark powers won't be able to harm you, but his was enough to make you vomit blood. We can't allow him to exist in your world."

"Father! Why? He's your child too!"

"Shut up! You don't understand anything!"

Father's hand clenched into fists, then loosened as he turned around and left the room with mother, her tears sliding down her cheeks. The doors banged shut and a click was heard as he locked the door. I could hear his voice through the wood, instructing the servants. "Keep Augustus in his room. No one is allowed to enter until he repents!"

My nails dug into my palm. So this is how you'll play it father? What a shame it won't work.

***

Four hours later, the duke of Bedivere knocked on the doors guiltily. "Son? Are you awake? Father's here with your food."

After waiting a few moments, he began talking again. "Augustus, don't be angry. Father's sorry. I shouldn't have yelled at you. Please reply."

There was only silence, even when the duke pressed his ears to the door. Perhaps he's asleep? A bad premonition filled his heart. I'll just peek a little to check if he's okay. He convinced himself, unlocking the door. "Duang!" The plate he was holding shattered on the floor. A bunch of servants hurried up to see what's wrong. Bastian stepped forward carefully, thinking that the young master had enraged his father again. "Duke? What's wrong?" Then, he caught his breath as he stared at the room. An empty room, the windows completely open, letting the silk curtains flutter in the breeze.

The duke's enraged roar thundered the mansion. "Find him now!"