48. Prince At A Funeral

That morning, as the angry clouds clashed high above and after Voster said good luck to Julian and Romile, he boarded the dull carriage awaiting him. It felt surreal as he shifted uncomfortably on the plush cushions that were unsuitable for the occasion.

As thunder roared and rain began to fall, the surroundings became a haze of dim melting colours. By the time the carriage came to a stop at the Silent Hall, Voster was ready for a change in scenery. The moment he stepped out into the rain, he felt a white-hot fury burn in his fingers as crowds of people made their way into the funeral hall.

The Silent Hall was a separate building designed to honour those who have passed by holding a farewell ceremony, followed by one of the resident Mages privately using magic to return them to the nothingness they once were.

Splashing his way up the mud-covered limestone stairs, his footsteps were muted by those who joined him on the way. Herded through passageways into a large hall, Voster admitted to himself that the princess had gone all-out on decorations. Peace lilies and orchids in spades on every surface, standing guards stationed at various points, each adorned with snow-coloured gladioli upon their lapel. The mourners' weeps tickled the walls, echoing together, growing to sound as though a hungry monster was waiting to devour them all.

Voster's heart convulsed violently as his eyes fell on the traditional transparent casket in the centre of the hall, laid high out of reach yet close enough for the dead to be recognisable. Though he was sure that Evianna was alive, his eyes began to convince his heart otherwise. An intense battle of evidence erupted in Voster's head as he stared, mystified at the body in the coffin.

Her figure was as he had last seen it, young and peaceful, in her beautiful Myrde dress, which had been cleaned with magic. The soul Vines remained wrapped around her as if it were a devoted lover unwilling to part. Once again, Voster felt a new rage bubble as he tried to understand the sight before him. Urged on by the wailing of unknown mourners, light began to crawl out of his hands, reaching out for the casket.

Suddenly he felt a short jab in his leg. Looking down, Voster realised a knee was pressed against him. Falling back into reality, he searched for the knees owner. Rage was swiftly replaced by bewilderment as he saw the exhausted face of the first prince. Before Voster could speak, the first prince signalled to move to a quiet corner before continuing. Voster hastily nodded and worked his way through the crowds, pushing both people and his mixed emotions out of the way. Stopping in a well-lit yet well-hidden spot, Voster turned to the prince who was watching the crowds, amused by their grief.

"Though not a single one of them met her, they cry in grief for her passing," the brown-haired prince sighed in pity.

Voster watched his actions before he half-heartedly challenged, "Perhaps, they are simply sad about a young girl losing her life, Your Highness,"

"No," the prince objected, "Evianna was the Lady Myrde which is a positioned supported by the royal family. Many might think that since she has passed, there must be a new title-holder selected for this year."

Voster considered his words; casting his gaze around the room, there was not a single person he recognised. Once again, setting his eyes on Evianna, a wave of pity crashed through him. Not only was she used and manipulated while alive, but her death is also just seen as a mere tool by others to get what they want.

Shaking his head to clear his thoughts, he turned away from the sea of greedy grievers. "What can I do for you, Your Highness?"

"I have a proposition," the first prince announced.

"What might that be?" Voster had never had any intimate dealings with the first prince; however, he aware that his personality was twisted, manipulative, and self-serving due to years of over-working at the King's expense.

"I would like my mongrel, younger brother to usurp the throne in exchange for providing the location and safe return of Evianna."

Reliefsoared through Voster like a bird over a cliff. Evianna was indeed alive.