Chapter 27

As the first light of dawn spilled across the estate, Nadia stirred from the guest house in her satin pajamas and reading glasses with her hair held up in a bun. As she counted her steps in the cobblestone path to the main house, she could hear the distant chatter between Helena and Nathaniel and the comforting aroma of brewing coffee. For some reason, Nathaniel had decided to send everyone an SMS that breakfast was ready.

The SA trip was coming to an end. What remained was an impromptu gala set for that evening, and then they would take a flight back to Nairobi early the next morning. As such, breakfast together was appropriate.

She entered the main house through the rear door where a long hallway led to the dining area. Before she could cover half the stretch of the passage, a strong arm enveloped her, whisking her into the adjacent room. She released a startled gasp just as Ivan shut the door to the powder room.

'Good morning, Mr. Ivan.' She said teasingly.

'Good morning,' he whispered, his voice a warm caress. His eyes lingered on her morning fit before he lifted them to her face. She suddenly became aware of her surroundings. The powder room was the opposite of spacious and she was standing too close to him; not that there was anywhere else to move.

'It's breakfast time.'

'Fact.' He said in a raspy voice.

Only then was she hit with the possibility that he had little recollection of what had gone down between them. She could still taste his bourbon breath on her tongue and her lips were a little puffy. Had he been too drunk? -But he had acted as sober as a judge.

'I was hoping you could help me out with something before then.' He added with a sheepish grin and part of the tension that had built up within her dissipated.

'I have this hazy memory, sought of a dream, and something at the back of my mind keeps telling me it wasn't real but I think it was.'

'And what memory might that be?' She wore a playful smirk as he closed the space between them.

'We'll get to that.' His voice got lower. 'But first, the favor I asked. I could use some help proving that little voice in the back of my mind wrong.'

'Mmmh, Mr. Ivan,' she drew her lips into a thin line. 'I don't know what that has to do with me.'

'Ooh, it has everything to do with you.' His voice held a subtle command as he rested his arm on the wall behind her.

'Does it now?'

'You have no idea.'

'You don't mind filling me in then?'

'Not at all.'

'What's holding you back then?'

His lips met hers curved up in a smile. The first kiss was lingering and playful as if they both knew they could not have enough of each other even if they tried. The second was more demanding as his hand went up to pull a strand of her hair behind her ear. The third came with a deep groan as his fingers rubbed the back of her neck. Then came a fourth, a fifth, and more. Each better than the former.

'Goddamnit Ivan, are you jerking off in there?' Helena's voice came accompanied by rapid thuds she considered knocks.

Reluctantly breaking the kiss, Ivan lowered his head to hide his mischievous smile. 'Um, I wouldn't call it that.'

'So what would you call it then, dispelling potential population?'

Nadia stifled a giggle.

'More like peaking at a hive and dealing with matters of national importance.'