The secret

1 month, 3 weeks and 4 days. El kept a diary in which she wrote down all her thoughts and feelings. It was pink with blue and yellow flowers on it. It had been given to her by Joyce for her 12th birthday, and she wrote in it frequently.

El laid in bed under the covers trying her hardest to fall asleep. But she couldn't. It was a stormy night with crashing thunder and heavy rain hitting her window. Storms terrified her almost as much as the bad men did.

Hopper, who had recently gotten his job back as chief of police of the town, was working a late shift until 11pm. Usually he would be on the couch watching something on tv and she could go cuddle up next to him. But he wasn't. And Joyce was most likely already asleep given the time, and she didn't want to wake her. The added fear for hoppers safety did not do her any justice either.

Back at the station, hop was sorting through his last bit of paperwork, listening to the sound of the storm pierce through the building. Rushing through the files, trying to get done and leave as soon as possible, since he knew how El did with storms.

He watched carefully as the news played on the tv in his office. He didn't care about when it would hit Chicago, the only valuable understandable information that coming out of the reporters mouth was that the storm would get worse before it gets better. He knew Joyce was most likely worried about him and wished he could reassure her.

Time continued to tic by rather slowly. The storm hadn't calmed down and hopper wasn't home. Not being able to take it anymore, El got up and walked across the hall to Joyce and hoppers room. She assumed that Joyce was asleep so she didn't bother knocking. Just slowly opened the door and peered into the dark room.

"Mom?" She spoke in a tone just louder than a whisper. To her surprise, she got a response. "El?" Joyce couldn't tell what kid was talking to her but it sounded more like El. "What's wrong, honey?" She had heard the storm and was almost certain that that was what was bothering her. "The storm is bad and I'm worried that dad might get hurt." El walked over to the foot of the bed. "I know I am too. But I talked to him on the phone and he said it was a slow evening." She reassured her. "Can I l-lay in here with you?" She stuttered out. Joyce sat up in the bed and pulled one of Hoppers pillows over. "Of course."

She climbed into the bed from Jim's side and scooted over to cuddle up againstJoyce's side. She wrapped her arm around the younger girl. "I don't like storms." El spoke softly, resting her head on the womans chest. "Neither do I." She replied, kissing the top of Els head. "Can I tell you a secret?" Joyce asked. "yes" El looked up at her. "Don't tell anyone." She told her gently. El shook her head. "I won't." Their eyes met. "Promise?" She lifted her eyebrows. "Promise." She smiled softly.

Rain hit the windshield as hopper drove home quickly. There were hardly any cars on the road, which made since with the current weather they were in. It wasn't a long drive. The radio could barely be heard over the smacking rain and crashing Thunder.

He pulled into the driveway, noticing the living room light was on. He sprinted to the door to avoid getting soaked. The house was quiet besides the storm that echoed through it. He placed his things down and walked up to Els room to check on her. He quietly opened the door to her room, and noticed that she wasn't in there. He frowned confused and walked to his and Joyce's room.

He saw the two of them sound asleep in each other's arms. Grinning at the sight, he got his pajamas on and moved El over so he could lay between the two of them. He climbed in the middle and wrapped his arms around them, pulling them to his side. He fell into a deep sleep not too long after.

Hopper awoke the next morning to one side of him being cold. He adjusted his eyes to find that Joyce was no longer in bed. It was a Friday so she didn't work that day. He glanced over at the clock "9:02" shit. It was later than he thought it was. He decided to get up and go find Joyce, careful not to wake up El who was still sound asleep next to him.

The bathroom light was on so he figured that's where she was. He knocked softly against the door.
no response. "You okay?" He asked. no response. So he tried the doorknob, it opened and he saw Joyce kneeling at the toilet seat with her hair tied back. He walked over and sat next to her, pulling her against him. "How long have you been in here?" He asked concerned. She just shrugged, moving back over to the toilet to get the rest out. "Jesus." He said under his breath.

Eventually she was able to get out of the bathroom and go downstairs. She found El and Will already in the kitchen eating breakfast. She walked over to El. "You didn't tell anyone did you?" She whispered to the girl. "Friends don't lie." She replied. Joyce smiled at her and walked back over to hopper. "What time did you get home last night?" He bent down to press a kiss to her cheek. "No idea." He cupped her face with his hands. "But I do know that you're gorgeous" She smiled widely as he leaned in to kiss her passionately.

A/N: what do guys think Joyce told El?