Season Two: Episode Two (pt.3)

(Note: I accidentally found this site that allowed you to create these little trainer cards and I think they look cool, so I'm using this to update Lauren's (and other trainers') teams as the story progresses. This will be more helpful as the story begins to jump to different times due to not having enough material to keep the plot so consistent.)

My eyes sparkled. This was the normal type floor. Trees towered above us and fresh grass and fluffy bushes covered the bottom. A group of Dunsparce laid in the corner and a herd of Delcatty were in another. Pidgeys perched on the tree branches and Furfrou groomed one another beneath the trees and their shade.

"Okay." I inhaled the aroma of fresh plant life. "Where to start?"

That question was for myself but Ms. Geode answered anyway. "Do you want to try one of those kiosks?"

"Nah." I shook my head. "I have an idea." I looked at Froakie and nodded confidently. "I need a bird Pokémon first, and I know exactly which one."

I've been seeing this certain Pokémon all around. It had become familiar, so to have it on my team would probably be cool. I just worried it would be so common that it wouldn't look as amazing with it on my team, but looks weren't the point.

"It should be on this floor since it's a normal type too anyway." I scanned the trees, but there was no sight of them.

"What Pokémon is it?" Ms. Geode asked.

"Oh, it's a -- wait!" I pointed to the tiny bird Pokémon. "There it is!"

A small flock of Fletchling slept on a bed of stones. A heated energy fluttered within me.

"You want to catch a Fletchling first? You see those everywhere, Lauren."

"I know," I said. "I don't care. I want it!" Ash Ketchum had a Fletchling. That's how familiar I was with the Pokémon. If he could have it, maybe I could too.

Now the hardest part was seeing what stood out. We walked closer to the sleeping flock. We were feet away from them, but one perked up instantly. It stood up and flapped its wings, signaling the others of our presence. Each one of the Fletchling fled except for the one who woke up first. It spread out its wings in a defensive position, but its legs were shaking. Scared, but putting on a brave face.

Just like Froakie.

I found the answer to my question. "That one." One side of my mouth curved up. "Say hello to your new trainer, Fletchling! Froakie, go!"

I twisted my waist and swung my arm forwards. Froakie ran alongside my arm from my shoulder and leapt up to the stones. The Fletchling jumped up and began flying away like the rest.

"Oh no, you don't!" I snarled, my body tensing with tenacity. "Froakie, use Water Pulse!"

Under the bright lights of the dome, the Water Pulse illuminated. It splashed into the Fletchling, soaking its feathers.

"Fletch!" it cried and started falling.

"Oh, shoot!" I didn't mean to go overkill. "Froakie, catch it with your frubbles!"

Her frubbles were the frothy bubbles around her neck. I remembered seeing that ability in the anime, so I thought it would be the obvious idea to do the same.

She jumped from the rocks and threw her frubbles at Fletchling. It stuck onto its body as it fell. She caught Fletchling during the descent. As they were about to hit the floor, I grabbed a Pokeball from my pocket. I pressed the white button in the middle and it expanded.

They hit the floor and Froakie rolled over away from the Fletchling. I hurled the Pokeball immediately. It opened and Fletchling shined in red light which shifted and entered the capsule. The Pokeball did its iconic triple rock side to side.