《𝐤𝐚𝐫𝐦𝐚 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐬𝐢𝐧, 𝐛𝐨𝐫𝐧 𝐢𝐧 𝐭𝐰𝐢𝐧𝐬.》

You had been obedient lately.

No fighting, no screaming. Just quiet, silent obedience.

You sang when he wanted you to sing, you danced when he wanted you to dance. You spoke when he wanted you to speak, and you slept when he wanted you to sleep.

You were no longer a person with a free will, if you had any in the first place. After all, most of your life was spent in the land of contracts, not once have you been fortunate enough to be able to travel to Mondstadt despite it being fairly close to Liyue.

"Darling, sing for me please." He would ask, caressing your cheeks with the back of his pointer finger, the smooth material of his glove leaving featherlight tingles on your skin.

Sing you would, until your voice went hoarse and your throat felt like sandpaper was being rubbed on it. If losing your voice meant gaining the freedom you rightfully deserve, then lose the voice that cursed you you would.

Of course, Zhongli was no fool. He knew what you were trying to do, singing your throat dry and voice hoarse. It was why he was always prepared with medicinal herbs to ensure that the damage was little to none, why he would stop you in between songs to have you drink at least a sip of water whether you wanted to or not.

Just a little longer, you'd tell yourself every night, laying awake with wide eyes and an erratically beating heart. Just a little longer and you'll be free.

But how long was just a little longer?

"Abide by the rules and you will be rewarded

"Abide by the rules and you will be rewarded." Zhongli had told you once, around sometime during your first few days with him.

You did as you were told, albeit it taking some time for you to actually do so. And, as the god contracts, keep his word he did. His reward?

Allowing you out.

According to him, it had been a year since you were taken. Liyue, as still as ever, had not changed much. Children still ran around happily with not a single worry in their lives, merchants still advertised their shops in the daylight to any passing person.

Liyue was still the same, but you were not.

It was laughable, really. The people of the city of contracts had a better chance at eternity than you, a person from the land of eternity.

Envy seeped through your veins, causing you to clench your fists with all your strength, your nails digging crescent shaped indents into your palm. You wanted to be like this. You wanted to be happy. You wanted to be free.