Book Review: Stay Awake Agatha by Serialsleeper

This story is one of the most famous and must-read on Wattpad application. That is a platform for all writers who want to start their journey in writing; and one of the authors who became known because of this application is Serialsleeper.
This story of her is now published under PSICOM, March 18, 2018.

Serialsleeper and the Stay Awake Agatha

According to the author, SAA is a 'spin-off' of her other story which is the Chasing Hurricane; meaning, she wrote SAA because of the idea she got from her other story but it won't affect the flow of the story if you don't read the first one.
Serialsleeper is also known as "Inang" in Wattpad community. Her first username In Wattpad was serialkiller. According to nathanmaru, a writer in WordPress, Serialsleeper's stories was more on creepy stuff but she also wrote some Romcom and Angst Story.

She also wrote some fun facts about her writing journey in Wattpad. According to her, she started reading stories in the year 2012 because of her friend. The story that she read was in e-book format. She was inspired to write stories because she also wants the Philippines to be a known country having a villain writer like Jason Voorhees in America.

Serialsleeper's first written story was Vertigo. She also said that all of her stories have a playlist because she can't write without one. She also loves having comic relief on the characters in her stories and 'vintage' names on them.
According to her, the most difficult story that she wrote was the Dispareo because of the complex plot and the Stay Awake Agatha because of the emotions in the story.

Genre of Stay Awake, Agatha

The story for me portrays three genres. First is the Fiction which can be categorized by two forms. (1) Fiction because in the last part of the story, Cooper sees Agatha's soul; it's more unlikely to exist in real life (2) Non-fiction because most parts of the story including the diagnoses of some main characters in the story are existing.

It is also a parable because the story consists of lessons and realizations about life, uncertainties, and misfortunes. Like what Agatha said, what if she didn't have that kind of disorder; will she meet her friends, Kuya Leo, and Cooper?
I can also say that the story is an allegory. There are some conversations in the story that if you don't understand, you won't get the true message hidden from it.

The Stay Awake, Agatha's Characters

Cooper Alvarez

Cooper was a crazy man who sees hospital as hell because he was there since he was a child. He was diagnosed with Myeloma, a kind of cancer in blood. He always wears a black beanie to hide his thin hair. He always ran from his nurse since childhood and because of that. he saw and met the kid named Agatha. He saw her sleeping and he tried to wake her up, but he got annoyed because he couldn't. He just drew in her face using a marker and laughed because of it. Because of his laugh, the kid woke up and the nurse and doctor in that hospital hurriedly got into the room of the kid. He was so curious back then, so he asked his personal nurse. He knew that the kid has a sleeping disorder and she just woke up a while ago after a year. He then knew the name of the kid. Agatha.

After so many years, he was still in the zero ward and when a room near him suddenly got prepared, he was so excited because he will have a neighbor, little did he know, it was the child named Agatha that he met when he was a child.

Starting that day, they always hang up and eat together because they just have one nurse which is Kuya Leo. He always called Agatha different bad names just to annoy and got her attention. He became the buddy of Agatha whenever they wanted to escape from the hospital. He always gets a stolen shot of Agatha from her camera because it was a treasure for the lady.