𝟒. 𝐔𝐧𝐬𝐭𝐨𝐩𝐩𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐜𝐞 𝐯𝐞𝐫𝐬𝐮𝐬 𝐈𝐦𝐦𝐨𝐯𝐚𝐛𝐥𝐞 𝐎𝐛𝐣𝐞𝐜𝐭

11/29

"This isn't Brilliant Minds." You stepped past the glass doors into Kawabata Café, greeted by the aroma of tea and something buttery and delicious. The interior was private, elegantly decorated, and lush with greenery. The boy had taste. You passed fashionable couples quietly relaxing with each other after a long day at work. You wouldn't mind coming here again with him, you thought, maybe celebrating graduation in the spring, gazing into each other's eyes and holding hands as sakura bloomed all around... Your heart leapt. Wait–was this a date?! Is this why he'd volunteered to tutor you?

You had no time to ask as Light led you to a cushioned booth. With high walls, it would be a difficult place for outsiders to look or listen in on an intimate conversation, and you felt a thrill of anticipation in your chest.

"You were so quick, we still have an hour before cram school. I thought we could get a bite and a drink." Your heart did a flip at his earnest smile.

"Nah, you're the genius here." A genius, and so nice and humble. He knew just what to say, that Light Yagami. You ordered your favorite sweet and drink, while Light took a green tea and a slice of cheesecake.

He shook his head. "Thanks, but I'm no Einstein."

A new thought popped into your mind: "That might be a good thing."

He froze, matcha mid-sip. His smile dropped, but reappeared in an instant. "What do you mean?"

"I read that geniuses are often lonely because they can't find people to relate to. Also, that they have to endure insane pressure and expectations because of an intellect they didn't choose to be born with. That made me sad–honestly, I don't know if I'd choose it if I could."

"Geniuses should acknowledge their talents to maximize their contribution to society." His grip on the teacup tightened.

"Geniuses should recall that they aren't superior human beings because of some random genetic shuffling before birth. In the long term, they're just like everyone else–a drop in the ocean."

Light cocked his head, considering your idea. Oops–you'd insulted him again, hadn't you? Had he really not noticed, or was he ignoring it out of courtesy? He was a kind person, you told yourself, and you were sure he hadn't taken it personally. It was just you, overthinking.

Besides, Light was such a good listener, taking in each and every one of your words like they really mattered, and it warmed you to the core. And he was so knowledgeable, he could hold a conversation about anything. How did you get so lucky as to find someone like him? You found yourself leaning in, confiding, "Life must be a lot harder for geniuses. I just hope they can be happy, regardless of the cards they were dealt in life."

"That's simply not true, but it's funny you think that," Light laughed harshly. "[Name], you're very entertaining."

His words struck you like a blow. "What?"

Somehow, the atmosphere had changed. His easy smile was gone, his expression replaced by a cold intensity that made you shiver. "I'm sorry?"

He paused, pondering. "The way you talk down on extraordinary people of superior intelligence, with infinitely more potential than you... Over and over, preaching personal happiness with no regard for the greater good... It's fascinating how twisted your views are."

You didn't understand. Light was selfless and supportive. He'd called you so smart just hours ago. This wasn't him.

"Is this how average people cope with their mediocrity? By pretending to understand while knowing nothing, striving to drag everyone down to their level? It's pathetic."

Your jaw dropped. You felt tears prick at your eyes, your vision growing liquid. Nothing was making sense right now.

"Don't feign ignorance–you know just as well as I do that you've been taking every cheap shot and setting every trap for me that you could think of."

He laughed, and the sound–harsh and metallic–chilled you to the bone. "But don't worry–I'll fix you." Leaning forward, his voice dropped to a velvety murmur: "[Name], you're going to fall for me someday."

Now that was unexpected. "What?" It came out as a whisper.

He laughed again, leaning back. "Figure it out, if you can."

Your voice quavered. "Um, is this... revenge? For accidentally saying rude things to you? For getting the upper hand in that debate? I wasn't trying to embarrass–"

He wrinkled his nose. "–No, I don't take revenge. And for the record, you didn't have the upper hand. I'd have won, but the bell interrupted me."

"Some twisted social experiment?" If you kept asking questions, maybe something would start to make sense. Deep breaths, you told yourself. Pretend he didn't just call you pathetic and mediocre and ignorant and–

"A social experiment? Closer."

"Proving that you're so good at getting what you want that you can make me do anything–the most difficult, intimate thing possible–because you're such a genius." You still sounded like you were about to cry. God, how embarrassing.

Light sipped his matcha. "Some kind of proof, yes. It seems you're struggling: it has to do with values."

"People who fall in love... often have similar values." He nodded. "Ours seem... pretty different." You didn't believe in verbal abuse, for one.

"Perhaps. But you'll come around." Light drained his cup, primly setting it on the saucer. "I'll prove my system of values right," he declared, "and I'll know I've succeeded when you've fallen for me."

Somehow, the incongruity of the situation kept your eyes dry. "Why would you just tell me? Wouldn't it be easier to manipulate me in secret?" If you could convince yourself that he was insane, it'd take the sting out of his cruel barbs from earlier.

"Demonstrate, not manipulate," Light corrected. "Your sense of superiority is misguided, and I have to correct it. It doesn't matter if you know my goal, because I'll succeed regardless."

Now that was too far.

Who did he think he was to tear you down, then announce right after that you were going to fall in love with him? You glared. "How easy do you think I am? Do you think a few compliments about my ability to do physics and your stupid doe eyes are going to win me over? Now that I know your true self, I can hold out for the rest of my life."

He opened his mouth to speak, but you weren't done yet.

"There's no way I'm falling for you, Yagami-san."

Light chuckled lowly, shaking his head. "I've seen the way you look at me. And I've never failed at anything I've tried."

He paid the tab–his, yours, and a generous tip–and walked off.

Your eyes welled up again, and the lump in your throat expanded to near bursting. You couldn't breathe. Finally alone, you let yourself fall apart.

(1119)