Chapter 2

The swelter of the scorching sun beats down on you as you cross the desert. This dry, barren and desolate wasteland was everything you were not accustomed to. It was the complete opposite of the Vonetis Islands which were rich with moisture, shade and vegetation.

"Handsome?" You scoff at your mentors last words before you set out on your journey, "Master Gord, you're something else..."

How could he even assume the good looks of a man could beguile you? You'd never allow yourself to be that superficial. Or maybe you just haven't come across a man attractive enough to hold your attention.

It had taken you about 2 days to trek through the City of Scholars from Northern Vale to reach Agelta Drylands. You continue to trudge through the torrid sands of the desert. You pull at the hood of your cape to shield yourself from the rays of the afternoon star but even then the heat seems to penetrate through the fabric.

You finally reach The Oasis, which is some sort of a resting spot for caravans and travelers. This must mean you weren't too far from Fire Throat. You enter into the beautiful safe haven which was created by a tree nymph named Belerick; he felt sympathetic for the people who suffered from the unbearable heat. Thankfully, you needn't worry about dehydration; your magic is that of the water element after all.

You settle by a tree near a pond of water; it was then a stranger approached you, "You don't seem like you're from these parts."

"What makes you say that?" You ask the man.

"The textiles and colors of your clothing. I'd say you're from the southern regions."

"Very good." You're surprised. Not any normal person would be able to tell where people were from just by observation, "Southeast to be exact."

"Ah, the Vonetis Islands. What's a lady like you doing so far from home?"

"I traveled here from the Magic Academy of Ursula on behalf of Master Gord. Do you know of him?"

"Who hasn't heard of Gord? He's a renowned man of sorcery. Why has he sent you?"

"Valir." You figured you wouldn't need to say much for anyone in this desert to know why you were here for the Son of Flames.

The man makes a noise and then he nods, "I'm afraid he hasn't been back since he fled."

"Yes, I'm quite aware of that. But I'm in search of this fire wielder and I figured the best place to start was in his native land. Any ideas on his whereabouts?"

The man laughs, "The Land of Dawn is vast. He could be anywhere. But, between me and you, last I heard he was spotted in the Moniyan Empire."

You hum, "I figured he would be there at some point."

The Moniyan Empire was the central and largest country on the map. It held many cities and cities which were full of attractions, day or night.

"My lady, you've come a long way. The Moniyan Empire is more than a days journey. You're welcome to accompany me back to Wind Fort to rest for the night."

Wind Fort? You give the man a once-over. He was relatively young, likely in his 20's. His hair appeared soft and a slight sheen of white, almost like crushed velvet. His eyes were a brilliant gold, they almost glister from the rays of light reflecting off the surface of the water. He had an amazing build, his body was impressive. The man's shirtless and wore white billowing pants adorned with gold knee caps and a cloth belt in the color marigold; materials likely all silk and his wrist-wear and jewelry all gold metals. This stranger was the perfect embodiment of the phrase: Tall, dark and handsome.

But he wasn't Valir.

"Thank you. How kind of you." You smile softly, "I suppose it couldn't hurt. I am quite tired."

"It's my pleasure." He returns your smile.

The two of you leave The Oasis and you follow the man back to Wind Fort.

"Thank you for your generosity. How may I repay you?"

"There's no need to thank me." He reassures you.

"How rude of me. (Y/N) of the Southern Seas, Blue Flame." You apologize to the man and you introduce yourself.

He hums in amusement cause he was right, that you were from Vonetis.

"May I ask your name?"

Judging by the way he dresses, speaks, his general knowledge and where he resides, you already suspect you knew his name-and you were right.

He almost grins and then he says, "Vale."

Your chest tightens.

Vale the Windtalker. Vale of Wind Fort. Prince Vale of the Valley of Winds. Of course it was him.

The best part of all this? He was and could still very well be, Valir's best friend.