Chapter 1

Edited**

"Ughh..." I said getting out of bed.

Looking down at my ringing phone I picked up.

"Hello?" I said wonderingly.

"Avalon!" Karle yelled through the phone.

"Karle?" I said in shock. "Why are you whispering?"

"Because, sleeping beauty, I'm kind of at the boarding lounge right now and everyone's dead quiet. " Karle whispered again.

"Kind of creepy, anyway, where are you?!" She said raising her voice a little.

"I'm in my room and what do you mean you're at the boarding lounge?" I said I complete curiosity.

"Come on! Avalon, please tell me you haven't forgotten about what today was!" She screamed into the phone causing me to pull back until she was done.

"Yeah I remember but it's only-" checking my watch "9:15 AM...."

Putting the phone down for a minute, pacing back and forth "Shoot!"

"Karle, are you saying that I overslept and am most likely to miss my flight right now?" I asked freaked out.

"You overslept? Avalon! You are so-"
She said cutting off at that point. "Never mind. Just hurry and come here as fast as you can!"

"I'll try," I said hurrying to hang up the phone.

Only you Avalon, only you. I thought to myself.

I grab some random clothes from my closet and brush my teeth while tripping and tumbling to the ground in the process. Screaming at my dad to wake up while stuffing a sandwich in my mouth. Rushing back upstairs I grabbed my luggage and basically fly downstairs.

As I dash out the door with my dad the following suit, I realize I forgot the most important thing.

Brandon's green striped sweater!

"Where is it?!" I yelled at myself. "I'm sure I put it in here the last n-" I cut off when I found it. "Gotcha!"

It was a cool crisp morning. Clouds were scattering the sky, the sun desperately trying to breakthrough. Driving to the airport was a silent ride. My dad made no move to start a conversation so me being me, I plug my phone into the AUX cord ready to turn to music. Picking a random upbeat playlist, I shuffle it. Sitting back staring out the window, watching the beautiful city of Brooklyn pass by.

It was a great city. The buildings, the water, the bridge. It all blended and made a perfect home. Well if you liked living in a borough outside of New York City. Leaving back against the seat I close my eyes and remember how this whole thing started.

My school's Yearbook Club had this little competition every year for the seniors. Were you pick five girls and five boys to be on a court. Likewise to a homecoming court, just different. We do have a homecoming court but this is a whole other ball game.

People will vote off these five and who wins is number one for girls and number one for boys. You just click into a lifestyle of high school fame. Little did I know, I was going to make the top five. Just how I dreamed of it I won for the girls. On that same day, Karle had to lay the news on me.

"We're going to Paris! We are becoming exchange students." She squealed as she grabbed my hands.

"Yay." My smile not reaching my eyes. I wasn't really excited about leaving my dad here alone.