Chapter 16

Edited**

Brandon's POV

3:00 a.m.

I checked the clock for the third time in the last ten minutes. I turned my head back to the lousy, boring beige-colored hospital walls. I start to fidget with things around me. Throwing the blankets I had around me onto the chair, I sat up. 

I've been in here for about two days already. Lying back down, I debate if I should text Avalon.

Not waiting too long, I quickly scramble off the bed, careful of the cords, and grab my phone. Sitting on the edge, I brought the phone close to my eyes since my brightness was down.

Sending the message, I heave a sigh and sit back, trying to relax.

3:35 a.m.

Still no text! Tapping my phone, it showed no notifications. Tossing my phone onto my lap, I heard it vibrate and rushed to pick it back up.

"Dammit!" I swore when I got a message from Skylar. Someone I didn't want to text me at this time in the morning.

Hey, I heard what happened!! Why didn't you just let that girl what's her name? Annie? Anneta? Oh! Avalon! That's it. Why didn't you let her get shot instead of you? I miss you! Derek and I broke up. You know what that means, that we should get back together! Get better soon so I can see you again! Love you! XoXo, Skylar

Rolling my eyes, I delete the message and set it back down. When the clock struck 4:30, I decided to go back to bed. Grabbing the blankets off the chair, and pulled them up onto the bed. Turning my phone completely off, I close my eyes.

Avalon's POV

3:00 a.m.

I woke up suddenly. My bed was slightly shifting and making noise. I opened one of my eyes to see Brandon's face flashing on my screen. One new message from him. Reaching over for it, I turned the brightness down and opened my phone.

It turned out I had more messages than just from Brandon. So I saved his for the last.

I heard what happened, are you okay!? Is Brandon okay? If you need anything, I'm always here!

Maria, 1:35 p.m

Huh? Why haven't I noticed that one yesterday? Whatever. Deleting it, I went to the next.

Av, let's hang. I'm missing my best friend. Get over the other day. You didn't die, neither did Brandon. He'll be fine! Come on, let's go shopping! How bout go to the mall after school Friday? Well, I'll see you at school later! Love you!! Karle; 2:10 a.m.

Smiling, I reply with a "Yes, perfect!" And continue with the other message before Brandon's. Yawning, I read the paragraph.

Avie! When are you coming home. I miss you! School isn't the same without you! I miss our little dates and chats at 3 in the morning. Make sure you come home to me. I still love you. I know I hurt you but trust me, it won't happen again! I promise I will do anything for you! Please, come back home soon. I miss your smile and your laugh! Love you, babe! XoXoXo Keith; 2:45 a.m.

Frowning, I save the message for when I'm fully awake. Sliding my finger up the screen, I tap on Brandon's face. But before I could read his text, my phone dropped onto the floor, and I was out.

Brandon's POV

Waking up with a yawn, I look over to the door. Then to the clock, then back to the door when I realized someone was there.