Chapter 9

Edited**

"Y-You have no memory?" The shock was written all over Brandon's face.

He looked at me like I was insane, like I was a monster. His brows were furrowed into a deep scowl that made me wish I never told him at all.

Shying away, I tuck my head between my legs. Giving off a little squeak of affirmation.

"Why?" He asked suspiciously.

"How would I know!" I yelled. I could feel the warmth of my tears streaming down my face before falling onto the cement.

Not having enough courage to face him I got up from the steps, turned around and walked back into the building ignoring his screams. I crossed my arms over my chest giving me an ounce of comfort from the pressure. Opening the doors I make my way back to the cafeteria to meet up with Riley and Karle.

I was still crying as I sat back down in my seat. Trying the best to wipe them away before anyone could notice.

"Avalon! Are you okay?" Karle's voice was thick with worry.

"Yep, just fucking fine," I mumble, my tone was a lot angrier than I had intended it to be. I was angry but not at them, I was angry with myself for being vulnerable. But I was mainly angry with Brandon, the way he reacted and looked at me was something I didn't see coming.

"Woah. Okay." Karle and Riley said in sync.

"I'm sorry guys. I'm just angry with Brandon right now. He-He keeps bugging me. About my past and why I don't have a memory." I aimed this toward Karle knowing she knew exactly how I felt. She was the only one who accepted me for who I was after my incident, she was always there and that's why we are best friends.

"You have no memory?" Riley questioned.

"Yes. I have no memory before the age of fifteen." I snap.

"Sorry" I mumbled under my breath. My gaze still locked with Karle.

"Well, you can always come clean." She whispered. "You can tell him why you have no memory."

"But can't you see I don't remember! Why can't no one understand what I'm trying to tell them!" I cry sliding my head into my hands.

"Do you want to know what happened? Why not just get in touch with your mom or someone who knows?" Riley rubbed my back. Trying to comfort me, I shook her off needing some space.

"I can't." I sniffle leaning back against the chair. "My parents don't want to talk about it."

Letting out a small cry I picked up my barely touched lunch and threw it away. Pushing my way through the crowd of people I walked to my locker and grabbed my stuff for last hour.

I stumbled into the classroom hoping no one was there. The tears were slowly drying up but they were there. I took my seat in the front and tried to focus on the warm up.

"Avalon, are you okay?" Ms. Greene asked me kneeling to my level.

"No, I'm not," I spoke truthfully. What was the point of trying to lie? What was it going to get me. Nowhere.

"Would you care to talk about it?" She asked politely. Giving my hand a little squeeze as if to say I'm 'here for you.'

"Sure. I bet it couldn't hurt." I followed her out into the hallway.

"So what is the matter?" She asked with her clear voice. Her posture was welcoming and radiated safety.

"Well, all my friends and more want to know why I have no memory. To answer your question yes I have no memory before the age of fifteen. I have no clue what happened. They keep telling me to ask my parents but they just won't tell me even if I ask. Not to mention when I told one of my friends he looked at me as if I had three heads. A monster!" I broke down into tears. "I don't know what to do or what to tell them."